Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #1 
JKfish

So many questions

Okay, now there is an awesome chance I'll be getting a 25 gallon tank. My dad randomly called, and just said "25 gallons?" then hung up. I'll have to pay him back (obviously) but that's okay :D

Okay, I'll stop blabbering. Would I be able to divide it in half, and put 6 neon tetras on one side, and another 6 on the other side, and have 2 otos on each side, and 5 female bettas on one side, and 1 male on the other? I'd have two gentle filters, and the tank would be cycled and well planted. According to several stocking calculators, I would be in the 90% for how stocked it is. Do you think I am alright space wise?

Do you think the bettas will be alright with the tetras and the otos? I plan on introducing the tetras and otos first, then when the tank is ready, introducing the girls on one side, and the guy on the other. Is there a good chance the bettas will attack the other fish? If so, should I just not have any otos or tetras?

(i wasn't sure where to put this, will a moderator move it if it's in the wrong spot?)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

I wouldn't suggest neon tetras. They are known to be fin nippers or if they are small enough the Betta could eat them. I would go with Cory Cats.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #3 
JKfish

Okay, thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly the petstores nearest to me don't carry too many cory cats. And when they do, they are typically really dull browns, and not that healthy. Do you know of any other colorful types of fish that could live peacefully with bettas?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

Adding other fish with a betta depends on the betta. I had otos with one of my bettas and he just started attacking them, so I put them in with another and they've lived happily together.
Otos are great fish as well as cories.
For the sorority, I'd just suggest bottom dwellers, then you can make the side with the single male betta more community-ish.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #5 
JKfish

Okay, that sounds like a good idea, and I might do that. Has anyone had experience with zebra danios and bettas living together? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3954148 I've been looking around petsmart.com, and aside from tetras, these seem like a good idea.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

I've had a female betta, danios and cories all living together and didn't have a single problem. They're pretty quick though. Again, it depends on your betta. But you should also watch out for the danios themselves, I've heard about some nipping at a betta's fins. I think it might be best to do a trial-and-error thing. If they don't work out, you can always return them and try something else.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #7 
TheJadeBetta

My niece has two danios and I saw one with a piece of fin in it's mouth.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #8 
JKfish

:/ Is there any smallish colorful fish that doesn't nip fins? I might try trial and error, and just have to be really careful. Oh, another question, plants like java fern can be attached to fake driftwood and rock, right? Well, if so, how do they get their nutrients? Can plants be in the tank while it has just started the cycling process? Also, where would I get the amonia and other things needed to start a fishless cycle?

(I was pretty sure I had most of this figured out, but now, I've got a billion or so more questions popping up each second. This is will be my first large tank, and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

I believe they'll attach to fake decorations. Plants get their nutrients throught lights, so you have to make sure you have decent lighting. There are some fertilizers too but if you just have easy low-light plants, you won't have to worry about them. Plants help with the cycling process. To find pure ammonia I'd try Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot. They should all carry it.

At least you're informing yourself and not asking after you have tons of dead fish. :) So keep asking until you feel you're sure on everything.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #10 
JKfish

Okay, thanks a lot. Now for more questions. Apart from natural light, what sort of light bulb should I use in the tank's hood if I were to try to grow plants like java fern, water sprites, dwarf hair grass, etc? Also, I plan on using either sand or pea gravel as my substrate, because I want a natural looking tank. For sand, how would I vacuum it using a gravel vacuum? Would a gravel vacuum even be necessary with sand?