Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #11 
Jayy

I would keep a eye out for aquarium bulbs that say that they're good for planted aquariums I use Aqua-Glo by Hagen
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #12 
SaylorKennedy

For planting and lighting, I'd head over to www.plantedtank.net they are awesome people over there and are very helpful with plants, equipment and all that jazz. :)
I would use a CFL though.

When I had my sand, I would just lift the vacuum up about 1/2" off the sand and that always worked for me. Really easy. With sand you also have to mix it up eveyr now-and-then *about every month) to prevent gas pockets from forming.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #13 
JKfish

Oh, okay, I'll look for aquarium bulbs and check out the link^^. When you mix the sand, do you leave the filter off until the sand has settled again so that the sand doesn't clog the filter? Would I be able to just go out into the woods and look for wood to be 'driftwood' in my tank? If it's alright, most of the trees around where I live are pine, would I be able to use that?

Also, my fish has fin rot and I'm trying to get him to heal. It looks like his fins are healing, but I'm not sure. I'll try to get a good picture of his fins tomorrow. On a different topic post, someone was asking if his/her betta would get droopsy after having fin rot. Is there a good possiblity he will get droopsy? And what exactly is droopsy

Last edited by JKfish; 05-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #14 
McAttack

The plant specific lights work well but if you do have it, make sure you have something in there that grows very fast like valispernia (spelling?) cause if not and you have relatively slow growing plants, the nutrients will be absorbed by algae, and then it'll grow INSANELY fast. I've had this issue, still fighting it 6 months later. I had vallispernia, but i still had lots of algae. THere's other fast growing plants also, but just from experience this stuff is easy and you'll get a couple inches a week with those plant lights.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #15 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Also, my fish has fin rot and I'm trying to get him to heal. It looks like his fins are healing, but I'm not sure. I'll try to get a good picture of his fins tomorrow. On a different topic post, someone was asking if his/her betta would get droopsy after having fin rot. Is there a good possiblity he will get droopsy? And what exactly is droopsy
Droopsy? Dropsy, I think is what you mean. No, he will not get dropsy, if you don't feed him live worms and he has a clean tank with clean water. Dropsy is where the fish has raised scales and he looks like a pinecone. Best info I have found: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #16 
JKfish

Okay. :) Thanks again. Um when cycling, would you have to run your filter non stop, or could you have it run for five hours, stop for an hour or two, then resume again or something like that, or does it not really matter? Apart from using mesh to make a divider, is there anything else you could use that looks a bit nicer?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #17 
McAttack

They sell tank dividers which are clear plastic at the fish store.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #18 
JKfish

:D awesome. Okay, one more question. If I were to divide my tank, and have like 4 or 5 tetras one one side, and 4 or 5 on the other, would they still sorta 'school' together as much as possible through the divider, or would they sorta form their own two different schools? If you think they wouldn't school through the divider, and they wouldn't have a large enough group to swim in, then I'll add more fish on each side.

I'm pretty sure that's all my questions for now...