Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Re-Cycling My Tank: Nitrites vs. Nitrates

I had a 5g tank that cycled in about a month. I was ecstatic until I realized (on the day the cycle completed) that the tank was leaking. So I went out and got a new tank, and decided to upgrade to a 10g. I came here and asked what would happen to my cycle, and someone said that it would probably go through a 1 week mini cycle.

That turned out to be pretty accurate advice; my nitrites shot up almost instantly, stayed high for about four or five days,and then (yesterday) they started going down. Then today I saw that my ammonia was 0 and my nitrites were 0. I was so excited, I thought I was finally done cycling!

But the nitrates were only about 5-10 ppm, while they were very high at the end of my 5g tank's cycle. During this "mini cycle" of my 10g they never got high at all, not even today when everything else went to 0. So...what do the low nitrates mean? Did something go wrong with the process? Is my tank not cycled after all?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Did you do a water change?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

I assumed the 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia meant my tank was cycled and did a water change; I didn't even think about the nitrates being too low until just now. They were low before I did the water change. That was a few hours ago, I haven't tested since.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Wait, do you want the Nitrates gone?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

I'm just wondering if the fact that they were so low means that my tank isn't cycled.