Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #1 
serenityroyal

Unhappy Fin rot DX

So a few weeks ago, I caught my little guy nipping at his tail fin....and even though I tried to keep his tank clean....he's got fin rot! His tail fin is all jagged looking and he's also got it on his anal, though that's not as a bad as his tail fin. I've had him on melafix medication for a week. How can I tell if it's completely gone? Also I'm worried about him getting dropsy, because I heard that some fish get it after having fin rot.
serenityroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #2 
Cyphus

He may be nipping at his fin b/c he's stressed, or hungry etc~ or.... maybe 'just because'! I had a betta who would nip at his tail as much as he could, even though he was living in a comfy home! (or, at least I felt it was.. lol)

I am still somewhat of a n00b on bettafish keeping, but, I believe first step is to treat him with aquarium salt (1/2 tsp/gallon). It can help it heal. You can also try adding Indian Almond Leaves. I have read online that it has 'magical' capabilities in helping bettas heal/keep healthy! If you can't get your hands on some, you can probably find an 'Attison's betta spa kit' at your local fishie store! That stuff contains IAL extract.

I have no idea how to tell when the finrot's gone..... @_@ I mean, finrot is characterized by blackened jagged tips to the fins, so...... if it's 'gone', does it mean these blackened tips magically disappear, and it seems that the fins are growing back? XD I really dont know...
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #3 
Cyphus

You might also consider treating him with Mardel's Maracyn 2

http://www.nippyfish.net/finlossfinrot.html
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote