Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #1 
reaperss06

live plants and filters

This is just a curiosity thing, if you have live plants and filter the tank how do you water change if at all when you have a fish living in the tank?
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 
zoragen

If you have live plants & a filter then your tank is cycled and depending on the tank size & bioload you do about 10-30% water changes a week.

In the 6 gal planted tank I have I do 1-2 gallon water change weekly.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Lots of active growing plants can work as a filter by using the ammonia for food, however, one or two plants can not make that much difference as far as filtration goes and safety of fish related water quality.

In my very heavy natural planted (90% plants) soil based tanks- some with and without filters for water movement only not filtration, I make 1-2 times a year small water changes and due to being open tops I top off water weekly of 1-5g of fresh water (depends on what size tank)

In the lightly planted tanks IMO/E and depending on bioload, type of plants, tank size etc.....weekly to two/three weekly 50-100% water changes still need to be made, if plants are rooted in the substrate you need to be careful not to disrupt the roots with cleaning.

IMO/E-live aquatic plants are a benefit and can be helpful in keeping the water quality at its best for livestock as well as helping the livestock feel at home/safe with species that come from areas with plants
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote