Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #1 
Josh Young

Betta Breeding methods of the past?

Were all Betta species originally wild caught and released or were some cultivated in days past?

My question is, if people did indeed keep and cultivate Betta species in the past, then what methods did they employ?

Without electricity and plastic, without even plate glass: is there an old method for caring for and breeding these fish?

I am happy to have things like glass, electricity and plastic, but still would love to know more about raising these fish without them. My assumption is that the with less automation, more diligent care and observation is required, more frequent water changes because of the lack of filtration etc

does anyone have any links or information about this?
Josh Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Originally B. splendens were not the fish we see today. Wild splendens can be housed together. It is my understanding that B. splendens were caught originally back in the 1800s and selectively bred to be aggressive in order to be used for fighting.

I assume the methods for breeding and keeping bettas are much like they are today in SE Asia. There they don't use heaters or filters. Fish are kept in small plastic or glass containers and the water is changed daily. Unless my information is wrong and people were keeping Bettas before the 1800s, I assume the fish were originally kept in wood barrels or glass bottles of some sort.

This is the hatchery of a well known breeder on Aquabid. He and his family breed gorgeous fish with seemingly simple set ups.. (I wish I knew what they were saying.. I'm fascinated by this set up).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSF1SFtucKk

As far as I know B. splendens have only been kept for less than 150 years or so.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

In Thailand the would put a male and female in a large clay pot and then when the fry were placed in a pond and it was so simple. All they had to do was let nature take it's course. These mthods are still used today.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #4 
Jennyinurmouth

In one way of thinking, this could produce the most hardy bettas, you know?
Survival of the fittest, and by breeding them under those conditions, the bettas from this method of breeding were probably hardier and stuff than bettas today bred under more specific conditions.
Just rambling.
I have thought about it a lot, since the temperature during the summer is so hot, you know?
Like if in early summer I spawned a pair of Bsplendens, and raised the fry indoors until they could survive off of larger live foods and moved them into a "pond"
Then let nature take its course and take out what fry have survived when they reach adulthood.
But the only problem is the aggression of the males; Even if I made a pretty big pond, the males would still find eachother and kill eachother...
hmmm this is making me think too much lol
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

There are breeders in FL that raise their fry in tubs out doors. There's an amazing fish farm in Miami that has huge outdoor grow out tanks for their goldfish (http://www.tropicalfishmiami.com/shop/)

Actually one of the people that was a judge at our show is from the Florida betta club (or something to that effect) and he actually converted his swimming pool into a growout tank!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Actually if provided enough room males will pretty much ignore each other until one challenges another over territory and then the loser will swim off without serious injuries.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 
Jennyinurmouth

I have a kiddie pool :3 if I NEEDED anything at all, i could use that.
hmm.
This is a thought, though.
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote