dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #12 
ecoprincess

gross.

so....how did that get in your tank? im confused
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #13 
JamieTron

Snails are carriers of parasites some harmful some not..if I remember reading about my parasites correctly the type that crawl on the glass that are white are normally not harmful. If you wanna get rid of them I would rinse your tank with salty hot water should help get rid of some of them. Do the gravel too
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #14 
Cyphus

gross =X I am glad I don't have snails then!!
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #15 
Welsh

I wish I never read this thread, I get totally freaked out with stuff like that, it makes my skin crawl lol. But atleast if I spot one in my tank I know not to worry lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #16 
kuklachica

mmmm... yeah it's still freaking me out. vacuumed again today, then filled the tank up and vacuumed AGAIN! and they were still in there. ARGH! And he's right next to my computer, so it's the tank I see the most often... AAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #17 
kuklachica

I think i figured out where they came from. I got a new plant about 3 weeks ago and Cielo kept pecking (yes, pecking) at the roots. I thought he was just interested in them. On Monday when I cleaned it out (or was it sunday??) I broke up the baby plants and spread them out in teh tank. Thats when I saw them for the first time. So I think they've always been in the root system, but always wrapped up with all the roots. But when i broke them apart it loosened them and spread them throughout the tank. so i'll be vacuuming and adding salt until they are gone... which is not soon enough!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #18 
mfskarphedin

Hi, looong ago, before the Python was born, I had a 15 gal that accumulated too much waste in the gravel, and soon enough, I had a billion of similar-looking things crawling around. I put my goldfish fry in there, and they went nuts eating them! Fattened 'em up real good. I have no idea where they came from, and I haven't seen any since, but they didn't do any harm.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #19 
Sella

Its most likely for sure a planaria. I have one somewhere in my tank as well that I believe came in on the live plants. They're harmless in small numbers, and I think bettas might eat them if they happen to notice it.
I haven't seen my planaria in about three months since I first noticed it, and I haven't seen it since. You can scoop it out if you want to, but they stick really hard on to the glass so it can be tricky. I'm sure after today you'll never see it again.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #20 
shmifty5

Talking

when i had my newts i used to see all kinds of nasty little things, this is mos likely a planaria (as mentioned like 100 times before, lol), they are harmless unless you happen to get a large number stuck to your body in which case the hospital is your best friend (personal experience btw), the only critters you need to worry about are the ones that stick to your animal or come out of them.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote