Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #1 
NateD

what do you guys recommend for filter. 3 gal tank.

Hi all.
I'm new to this forum and I just got a 3 gal tank and an elite mini sub filter, currently also having live plants. The problem i have is the current for the filter i have now seems like it a little bit too strong (it's on the lowest setting but still push my Betta around), also the water gets cloudy real fast. I tried to add a lil sponge to the outtake but the current is still strong. What do you guys recommend for a filter that is compatible with our Betta and keeps the tank nice and clear?

p.s: i haven name my betta yet since i just got it, but its a dragon scale! Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

NateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #2 
givemethatfish

You can rubber band an aquarium sponge around the filter outflow, and that will reduce the current for your fish.

As for the cloudiness, if the tank is newly set up, it's something called a bacterial bloom which is normal and happens in pretty much all tanks. It's not harmful to a betta and it should work itself out within a few days. It's not a failing of your filter, rather it's bacteria living in the water column that are working on forming a beneficial "biofilm" on all the tank surfaces. They are slow in creating this biofilm, and live in the water column until they are able to stay attached to surfaces rather than living freely in the water.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #3 
givemethatfish

Also, welcome to the forum!
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #4 
tankman12

WELCOME!!!!!!!!

First off take those plants out of those pots. For the filter, a tetra whisper 3i (that is the name i think), are very good for small tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 
NateD

Thank you for the help and info!
It is a new tank set up so i did not expect it to get cloudy 1 day after lol, but since you mention about the bacteria forming it's a relief.
About the plants i was thinking of leaving in the sponge, would that produce any problems long term?
NateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #6 
tankman12

Ya cuz the plants need to spread their roots. And both of those plants are heavy root feeders. So get some root tabs for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #7 
VivianKJean

You can also use the Azoo Palm filter. Its much cheaper then the tetra one. You will have to order it online but its highly recommend on this forum.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #8 
taquitos

Just to add to what everyone has said, it is normal for a new tank to go through a cloudy phase :) Nothing to do with the filter!
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #9 
BaileyBoo

So sorry to hijack but I just had a quick question. I know you guys are saying its normal for a new tank to have a cloudy phase, but what about a smelly phase? My tank (3gal filtered,heated) smells so strange! Like gross even. Although, I went to do a 50% water change and got a mouthful of water when trying to get my suction going and it didn't even leave a taste in my mouth! nothing!
BaileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #10 
KnownSyntax

The plant on the right hand side (the Amazon Sword) will need ferts. as it is a HEAVY root feeder, without having any soil on the bottom (or fluorite etc.) it will die pretty fast, just as a heads up.

Without water movement I've noticed any small tank will get cloudy very fast (if there are no plants in there as well). Try baffling the output of the filter, and maybe putting a pre-sponge filter on the intake to slow the movement a tad more and make sure your Betta's fins don't get nipped if he were to drift too close to it.
KnownSyntax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 gal, cloudy, filter, filters, water