Betta Fish Forum banner

what do you guys recommend for filter. 3 gal tank.

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  nevandavismom 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I'm new to this forum and I just got a 3 gal tank and an elite mini sub filter, currently also having live plants. The problem i have is the current for the filter i have now seems like it a little bit too strong (it's on the lowest setting but still push my Betta around), also the water gets cloudy real fast. I tried to add a lil sponge to the outtake but the current is still strong. What do you guys recommend for a filter that is compatible with our Betta and keeps the tank nice and clear?

p.s: i haven name my betta yet since i just got it, but its a dragon scale! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You can rubber band an aquarium sponge around the filter outflow, and that will reduce the current for your fish.

As for the cloudiness, if the tank is newly set up, it's something called a bacterial bloom which is normal and happens in pretty much all tanks. It's not harmful to a betta and it should work itself out within a few days. It's not a failing of your filter, rather it's bacteria living in the water column that are working on forming a beneficial "biofilm" on all the tank surfaces. They are slow in creating this biofilm, and live in the water column until they are able to stay attached to surfaces rather than living freely in the water.

#20 ·
WELCOME!!!!!!!!

First off take those plants out of those pots. For the filter, a tetra whisper 3i (that is the name i think), are very good for small tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I read that the tetra whisper filters are notorious for catching and ripping betta fins. Anybody have any experience with this or heard of this?

#5 ·
Thank you for the help and info!
It is a new tank set up so i did not expect it to get cloudy 1 day after lol, but since you mention about the bacteria forming it's a relief.
About the plants i was thinking of leaving in the sponge, would that produce any problems long term?

#9 ·
So sorry to hijack but I just had a quick question. I know you guys are saying its normal for a new tank to have a cloudy phase, but what about a smelly phase? My tank (3gal filtered,heated) smells so strange! Like gross even. Although, I went to do a 50% water change and got a mouthful of water when trying to get my suction going and it didn't even leave a taste in my mouth! nothing!

#10 ·
The plant on the right hand side (the Amazon Sword) will need ferts. as it is a HEAVY root feeder, without having any soil on the bottom (or fluorite etc.) it will die pretty fast, just as a heads up.

Without water movement I've noticed any small tank will get cloudy very fast (if there are no plants in there as well). Try baffling the output of the filter, and maybe putting a pre-sponge filter on the intake to slow the movement a tad more and make sure your Betta's fins don't get nipped if he were to drift too close to it.

#11 ·
Bacterial bloom is a common occurrence in most starter aquariums, it typically clears up within a week. It looks "foggy" and kind of grayish. Once your beneficial bacteria establishes itself, it will quickly clear. You usually wake up one day and it is gone.

As for filters, the one you have can probably work if you baffle it properly, but if you find not you can get the Azoo Palm/Mignon filter on Amazon for about 20$. It's a great filter, but you'll want some different sponges and filter media for the long run, but the black one included is great for sticking out the exit for baffling.

As for your plants, the best bet is you get some Flourite or Eco Complete for substrate, but barring that I have grown swords in large gravel like you have with strong proper lighting, good aeration, and suitable fertilising via DIY Root tabs (Osmocote+ pellets in gel capsules) - easy to make yourself. One per 6 inches lasts 6 months or more. Be aware, you'll need to keep on top of water testing when you put these in for the first week incase anything spikes, be on hand with Prime.

You will definitely have to take them out from the sponges and spread their roots well when planting. It looks like you may have a couple plantlets of each, in which case you can have them in multiple spots. They are great, my bettas and bottom dwellers love hiding in them, and my snails love to perch on the leaves.

Another plant I've found to grow wonderfully in these conditions is Hygrophila, both Compacta and the Wisteria varieties. I have grown Bacopa Cardinalis, Anubias Nana, and floaters with similar situations with slightly less rapid growth. Oh, and Ambulia grows well, too.

Unless I am wrong, the right one is Java Ferns - they can just be tied to your rock display if you'd like. Sometimes I find they don't do as well 'planted' proper, just tied to things.

Plants are awesome and all of my bettas LOVE frolicking in them, so much better & they'll help remove nitrates from your water in the long run.

Good luck :)

#17 ·
Taken from the forum rules:

2) Let the moderators do the moderating
Do not comment on the inappropriateness of another member's post. If you think a member's post is against the rules or otherwise inappropriate, please report it to a moderator.

Further, please do not attempt to address issues with other members' behavior yourself. Members are very unlikely to change their behavior because of anything another member says to them, and attempts to confront other members typically only exacerbate an issue. Please leave it to the moderators to address other members' behavior. Because moderators have the ability to restrict members' access to the site, moderators can often get through to a member when other members can't. Please feel free to pm a moderator for help at any time.

6) Keep threads on topic.
Please keep the original poster's purpose for starting a thread in mind when posting in it. While it is natural for the topic of conversation to stray somewhat as threads evolve, please do not make posts that effectively steer a thread in a new and unrelated direction. Instead, please feel free to start a new thread where you can discuss the different topic. Creating new threads, or posts within existing threads, that are blatantly off-topic or serve no legitimate purpose ("spam") is prohibited. Spam Threads/Posts that can be removed without disrupting a thread discussion will be deleted.

Thanks for the tips on how the forum works, but I think you should be the one reading the rules.

#18 ·
THank you all for the help! my plants slowly died off so im getting new ones :( I'm also ordering some of the DIY root tabs as Panda suggested and an air pump just for extra oxygen for the plants. I just got a heater for my tank also and left it at around 80 f.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.