Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #11 
Beethoven

I know it's advised to get a heater and I understand why however, I've had him for 5 months now without a heater and for 4 of those five, he's made bubble nests and swam around happily. He's had a wonderful appetite and he's very attentive.
Could it be he was cold when he started acting funny and later developed fin rot?
When that happened, he had also been moved to a different spot in the room. He's back on my desk now and he seems great! Trust me, I've been watching closely.
I guess I'm just trying to ask if a heater is really a necessity.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

Yup.. A heater in a 2 gallon vase would be great. Good for you for upgrading to a bigger tank. Beethoven will definitely thank you

I'm not sure how big your desks are but in my dorm I'm able to keep an eclipse 3 without problems. Its a little pricey though (I got mine on sale). There's also a great 2 gallon tank that comes with a light and filter.. its available at petsmart..
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...1&ab=fish_fc1d

I have 4 of these and I got all of them from thrift stores for like $5. Most came with the light as well. These fit perfectly on a desk and have a light. I don't use the filters on mine because I don't like under gravel filters. All in all its a great little tank though.

EDIT: A heater is definitely necessary. Its a common misconception that Bettas like to be in room temps. Bettas are actually tropical fish and do best at temperatures 78*-80*. His fin rot is probably not because he was cold but it probably took longer to heal because he had no heat. Fin rot is usually due to poor water quality, but there are other reasons to get it. What is your water change schedule like? IMO a 1 gallon tank needs a full water change 2-3 times a week to have good water quality.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 05-19-2010 at 05:09 PM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #13 
Beethoven

Thanks so much!! The corner one is the one I've been debating on getting! I think I've pretty much settled for the vase though. Also, the year is almost over so I'll be moving Beethoven to either my house or my boyfriend's new apartment in about a month. I'm afraid all of the newness at once is going to freak him out and I'm trying to make him better, ya know? There's just so much to think about!! I have to be able to afford the heater too which is why I didn't get one in the first place. All of the reading I did said that it's a good idea but optional and I thought I'd see how it went without one. It went well until recently...
Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #14 
beat2020

Welcome to the forum!
Beethoven is beautiful!
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

The corner tank is only a 1 gallon (and not worth the money IMO). The ones I have are the tall hex tanks (those are 2 gallons).

I don't think switching tanks and moving will be too much of a stress on him. Just give him a couple days to settle down and get back into a new routine.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #16 
Beethoven

I've been looking at heaters since I get paid this week. Why not spend all of my money on my beautiful fishy? I like this one because I can put it under the gravel.
What do you guys think?
http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/10/list/3
Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

I have the hydor heater but they're not very good. They only raise the water temp 1-2* above the room temp. So if you keep your room pretty warm then it should work fine.. but if your like me and keep your apartment cool its not the best heater in the world.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #18 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He's beautiful!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #19 
beta novice

very pretty welcome we love pics
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #20 
kuklachica

Welcome!! If you're looking for a good, cheap heater and a decent tank, I highly recommend this seller from ebay. I bought this heater from him, and he has a great 2 gallon tank for an awesome price. This tank is made by the same company (Marineland) who made the tank that 1fish2fish recommended/has. I have bought from this seller and received a perfect heater and had great service!

Last edited by kuklachica; 05-19-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: edit: let me know if the links don't work for you.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote