Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #1 
blueh8red

Bettas in community tanks

Hi Guys...I have been keeping bettas in community tanks for about a year and a half now and I decided last month to merge some of my tanks... I joined 2 10 gallon tanks to a 50 gallon with groups of platies, mollies, corys, neon tetras and 5 bettas... yep! 2 males and 3 females... funny thing is that it seems they have adapted the schooling habits of the other fish as the males do not fight each other but swim alongside one another... I have been observing them and when not together they have their own spots in the planted tank... but when they do feel sociable they swim alongside the other fish and with the other bettas... has anyone ever encountered behavior like this? I have seen countless stuff online saying that males are not to be kept together but i'm seeing different from my fish...
blueh8red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just because you don't see any aggression doesn't mean there isn't any. Fish can share looks much like humans, some of these looks can be warnings that we wouldn't consider aggressive but they are. Eventually they will all stress each other out and end in a very nasty death.

Why risk your fish for this?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #3 
blueh8red

I know it's a big risk and believe me I was hesitant at first... But i thought these bettas were raised by me since they were eggs and I have had them in the community tank ever since... I was trying to stir away from the stereotype of males bettas... they are hand fed and would ask for attention or a rub when im at the tank... they seem to be happy with the bigger space even with other bettas around...
blueh8red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's like setting an alarm without knowing when it'll go up. You could very easily wake up to quite the surprise one morning.
If you care for the well being of your animals, your goal should be to keep them in a safe and non-stressing environment.

People have bred for non aggressiveness, and sometimes people are able to keep fish from the spawn together... if that is the case..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 
bluenail

It is like the parent who says that they have left the kids alone in the car while they have gone in for groceries many times. They may well be right, there has never been a fatal problem before, but that doesn't mean that it isn't an unacceptable risk.

Don't.
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #6 
tankman12

How long is the tank? Cuz many people keep multiply males and multiple females in a 55. But it is heavily planted. One of my lfs has a male with 7 females in a 10 gallon no problem. Another one has 4 males and 20-30 females in a 75. I have kept males with females but never males with males. But in a long tank it is very possible. Definitely increase the females to a much larger number, maybe 10-15. How positive are you that they are both males?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 07-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Why? Why do you want to risk your fish's life? Do you have some weird point to prove? Is it not just better to do the best you can for the animal you own? I don't understand why people do risky things like that. No one is going to be impressed and think it's cool that you have betta together. Not here on this forum anyways.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #8 
tankman12

Why what? Putting to males together? I personally wouldnt do that. But im just saying that people do it. And in a large planted tank it isnt really a risk, to have a male with many females. I wouldnt of done to males though, imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Males together, females together, males and females, it's all the same. Knowingly putting something into a situation where stress is possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #10 
tankman12

But those are different;
Females with females (sorority), works most of the time

Male with females, works sometimes

Males together, never really works
And in a big planted tank, it is more like the wild.
Posted via Mobile Device