Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #1 
Welsh

How to control a filter

I know this question has been asked many times before but I like to ask questions :p I have an.... Aquaflow mini carbon sponge filter and its quite loud, does anyone know an easy way to shut it up lol at the minute I'm switching it off before I go to bed but my new male is coming tomorrow and although bettas are surface breathers i still want him to have constant filteration.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #2 
cmndrJOE

Is it like an actual sponge filter that u pump air into? My sponge filter gets to be quite noisey too, but I have put an air control valve in the line so I can regulate how much air pumps into it. At night I turn it down so the air is minimal, but it still filters.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 
Jennyinurmouth

uhm if it is the splashing noise, I just wedged some fake plat leaves to like muffle the flow, also so the guy can build a bubble nest that won't get blown away lmao.
I am inferring that you are putting him in the 2.4 gallon?
if so, I highly recomend, the small tetra whisperer internal, because it is so quiet.
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
Welsh

I don't know, its this stupid little contraption http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sTP9a%2BJjL.jpg the other sponge filter I have is quiet, but that one is like a pneumatic drill its ridiculous lol.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #5 
cmndrJOE

What's with that funny looking plug? ;-P

U could try a piece of tape over the inlet and cut the waterflow in half?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #6 
Welsh

Oh yeah, we have "funny looking plugs" Im gonna sound blonde here but.... what's an inlet? lol your way just sounds so difficult lol

Jennyinurmouth - its not a splashing sound, its just an annoying humming vibration lol, I don't think we have those tetra whispers over here, i've never seen one anyway.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #7 
cmndrJOE

Nevermind, u said its a humming sound. My idea would most likely only help with a splashing sound.

Lol the inlet is where it sucks water in.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #8 
Welsh

Well, why didn't you just say that lol
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #9 
cmndrJOE

Lol I did!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #10 
mfskarphedin

[note: after posting, I now see you're in the UK. I'll try to see what brand names some good equipment might be sold under over there, if you can't fix your current filter or find the brands people in the US mention.)

Ok, I'm certainly not a Betta expert, but freshwater aquarium equipment, now that I'm an expert in! (or so I like to flatter myself) Yep, being a tech-geek spills over into my aquarium hobby.

Anyway, inside the pump head (the black thing on top,) there's an impeller. Open up the pump head (the instructions should say how, since you have to clean the impeller occasionally,) and make sure it's seated properly down in the well. Also make sure there's no gravel or anything else in the impeller well.

Here's what an impeller looks like: http://www.petmountain.com/category/...impellers.html

If you turn the filter off every night, chances are that you'll fail to grow a proper biological filter (the bacteria that eat ammonia and nitrite,) and your water will become polluted. If you can't make this filter work, I recommend you get a better, well-known brand. The Duetto filters are nice but perhaps too large for 2.5 gallons? I also looove my Red Sea Nano external filter. I have it on a 2 gal. hex. I keep it turned almost all the way down. It's dead silent. I read Petco stocks them for $12.

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c755/D...ter-p8779.html

Sorry if I repeated any "obvious" info you already know, but I like to cover all the bases, just in case. I never mean to talk down to people like they're idiots, but it sounds like it sometimes.

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 05-19-2010 at 07:57 PM.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote