Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 
metalbetta

Betta. In a cup!

Last night, a crack was discovered in Winston's new tank.
Long story short, I have to replace the tank, and for the time being... at least the next few hours... Winston is stuck... in a really big cup.
I gave him a few bloodworms because I feel terrible. lol

Any tips on how to entertain the poor guy?
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

He'll be fine. I've kept my fish in cups for a week (changing the water twice daily) with no problems. For a few hours or overnight he should be fine as long as you put clean water in there.

**Before I get reamed out for this I found that being in the small cup helped one of my tail biters to get started on regrowth. I think that the low amount of space is conducive to the delicate tissue being able to regrow without damage from constant swimming/filter flow.**
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 
metalbetta

He's in one of those big plastic coca cola cups. It was the biggest I could find that was see-through. He's not much of a jumper so I'm not too worried, but I did take a few precautions. haha.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Like a 2l bottle or one that comes out of a vending machine?

As long as you have it covered so he can't jump (just in case) and he has clean water he should be fine until you can get his tank set up.

A big tupperware bowl (with lid) makes a great temporary "tank".
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #5 
metalbetta

Not a bottle, one of those big novelty souvenier cups. I'd never even attempt a bottle! ... I can see all of the ways that could go wrong haha.
Anyway he should only be in there til a little bit after I get off of work tonight... 8ish, just enough time so I can set up his tank and condition the water and all that fun stuff.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Oh.. LOL. Yeah he'll be fine.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #7 
xswornxoffxjello

That happened to one of my girls. . . she had to stay there until I could get to the store and find her another tank, poor thing! And then she jumped out. . . not pretty. Say what you may, but you're never prepared for things like that. :P
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #8 
metalbetta

I was up til about 5 this morning paranoid about the tank leaking! You should have seen the gratuitous use of duct tape on the thing.

Finally off of work, so I'll probably be heading down to the store soon to have a fit at the customer service desk. haha, but seriously, going to get a nice new tank. Without a crack this time. ;)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
kpullen89

"gratuitous amounts of duct tape" haha! Awe, that must have sucked. I would have been paranoid too. I always have nightmares about my bettas dying or killing each other..lol its weird.

Anyways, if you're a bargain shopper like me, you could always look on craigslist or freecycle.com for a cheap/free fish tank. Just a tip! :)
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #10 
metalbetta

Oh it was terrible, but I finally got to wal mart and got a replacement last night. Unfortunately, the tanks were right by the betta fish. And I saw this really REALLY beautiful pastel/dark blue CT that I would have taken home with me if my boyfriend wasn't standing there shaking his head. Because I was thinking "OHH PRETTY" and he was thinking "Woman you have no room for another one!" lol anyway Winston is verrry happy. The tank has a nice warm light and he loves it.