Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #1 
manami

Question about using a new filter to a cycled tank

Hello! I got the "Fluval Aqua Clear 20" filter for my 5.5 gallon tank.

So in order to create good bacteria for the the fish is to have a filter running in the tank and waiting for the bacteria to build up. But what if when I remove the old filter and add the new one lose the good bacteria? Will it effect the water of my betta? What should I do?

I have read the box of the filter and it says that the filter has 3 settings or something that help it build up good bacteria for the fish, but I want to be sure that the bacteria won't be lost when I do the change.

Please and thanks!
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #2 
hrutan

I've heard of two different things you can do:

a) Run the two filters side by side for a few weeks. That gives time for the new filter to get beneficial bacteria growing.

b) Put the filter media from the old filter into the new filter without cleaning it.

You may have a mini-cycle either way when you remove the old filter, so keep a close eye on your water parameters.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #3 
manami

I'm going to try option A, but I'll have to keep an eye on my betta if he gets stressed or not having two filters running.

I still haven't check how plan B is going to work. The new filter has 3 "filter options" and I don't know if the old filter will fit there with the "extras".

But tomorrow i'll the option A and see how it goes.

Should I wash the new filters with my betta water when doing a water change?
or will tap water be ok?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #4 
hrutan

I'd use conditioned water to clean the new filters, personally.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #5 
manami

Today I cleaned the filters using the water from the tank after doing a water change. So far the lowest setting of the water flow seems OK...i'm still checking how my betta is doing. So far he looks good...and my ghost shrimp looks super energetic I don't know why...but I'm not complaining = ).

I'm doing option A. How long should I keep the old filter running while creating new bacteria to the new filter?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #6 
manami

Sadly my ghost shrimp jumped out of the tank last night while I was asleep because of the top lid not covering well with the two filters running in the tank. I'm going to cover the open space with a T-Shirt and hopefully my betta not jump or my nerite snail crawl out of the tank.

Yesterday I added the new filter. For how long should I keep the old filter on while creating new bacteria to the new filter?

Four weeks? less? more than four weeks? or is it safe to remove the old filter now?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #7 
givemethatfish

You need to run them both for at least 2 weeks.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #8 
manami

On August 4 it will be a week since I have both of them running. Just in case i'll leave them on for one more week or until I see my water testings showing good signs of water cycle...but so far so good!