Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #1 
Waldobubbles3

10 gallon for betta

Hello
Today, my beloved Waldo passed away I had wanted to get a 10 gallon and divide it earlier but I didn't have the time nor resources. I now do and would like to purchase one for my other betta Bubbles. Should I divide the tank? Plant it? Should I add other fish? I am afraid if it's just Bubbles the tank will be boring but I don't want to crowd him. Should I just get a 5 gallon for him? Any help greatly appreciated!
Waldobubbles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #2 
hrutan

Since you're starting from scratch, maybe you could try for a natural planted? There's a thread in the planted tank section for how to do it. A heavily planted tank with some driftwood and even some snails scooting around is never boring or empty looking.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #3 
Waldobubbles3

Also, in a 1.77 gallon tank he attacked some ghost shrimp... Was this because if a lack of space or is he just aggressive? Can I not get any ghost shrimp?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #4 
Waldobubbles3

And thank you hrutan! I did not see your comment before I replied
Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #5 
hrutan

He might've felt terribly crowded having companions in such a small space, or he might just be aggressive. Some bettas cannot tolerate company, but others do quite well. A 1.77g tank is too small for companions, period, so it's hard to say what went wrong.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #6 
Waldobubbles3

Yes, he has none now that was with my friend, his old owner, who didn't do her research *facepalm*. How would the filter situation go? Do I need to muffle it and how?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #7 
hrutan

You shouldn't need to baffle the filter in a 10 gallon as long as water is at appropriate levels, but some bettas have trouble with any current at all. It does depend on a lot of factors, including their fin size (how heavy they are, ect.) and conditioning. Since bettas have muscles like any other animal, he could be weak from not being exposed to current that would force him to exercise, and in that case the filter might blow him around. I personally would make sure the filter is at one end of the tank, and give him tall plants and maybe a betta hammock (checked for wires) for him to rest on at the other end of the tank.

If he has a cave or something that shelters him, that can help too. Just make sure any decorations you add have no rough edges, haven't been washed with soap, and don't contain any metal or wires.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #8 
Rainella

All of these choices are really up to you but here are some things to keep in mind!!

Dividing the Tank:
If you want to get another betta, then yes diving the tank is a good idea. It's definitely more cost-friendly than two 5-gallons.

Planting the Tank:
I've never planted a tank (I want to - but I'm in college and I have to move back and forth a few times a year so silk plants are just convenient for me), but I know a lot of people on here do. There are a lot of plants that will grow easily like java fern (which are also very budget-friendly!), but you still need to make sure they get some light! And don't worry about overcrowding with plants - bettas LOVE places to hide and explore, and lots of natural plants will definitely be closer to their natural environment. Plants also help keep the tank more clean, so if you are in a situation to have them I would suggest yes, go with the plants!!

Adding other Fish:
If you are dividing the tank I'd say probably not, but you could probably add some cherry shrimp or some snails. I know african dwarf frogs are popular betta tank mates as well these days! Just keep an eye on them though, because if your betta is particularly aggressive he might attack them. Whether or not a betta can have tankmates depends from betta to betta. If it's undivided, I'd say maybe. I know some popular tankmates are schools of neon tetras and corydoras.

Hope this helped!!
Rainella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #9 
Waldobubbles3

What substrate should I use for simple, hard to kill plants? And does the snail type matter (I do know not to get the apple/mystery snails tho)? Thank you both for your answers they are really helping me!!! Sorry if all these questions are annoying :/
Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #10 
tankman12

You can get floramax for 16 bucks at petsmary, eco complete 20 bucks at petco, or florite 20 bucks at petsmart. I have florite in my tank with black sand over it, and the plants just love it. So i would definitely say put a layer of black sand over it.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote