Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #1 
jessriggy

Thoughts on 2 gallons?

Hey guys,
What's your thoughts on 2.3 gallons for betta's? I've heard some say it's enough and some say it isn't. My boy is in a 5 gallon but I've seen a fully cycled 2.3 gallon for sale with everything included and there are some sorry looking fish at my lfs. Worth the investment?
jessriggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

2.5 gallons is the minimum for bettas however 5 gallons is a better choice. All 3 of my bettas are in 2.5 gallon tanks and are completely healthy. Its more about the water changes and maintenance.

with a 2.5 gallon cycled tank you have to do two 50% water changes every week (cleaning the gravel during one of them). Personally, I don't think this is a lot of work at all but some people say it is.

Its worth the investment if you want to take it.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #3 
jessriggy

To be honest, I've been struggling with cycling my 5 gallon and so was doing 25% to 50% changes up to 7 days a week for 3 months, so that doesn't sound too bad to me haha :P I find it hard NOT to do changes now
Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #4 
kjg1029

I'd say that's okay...just try not to fill it all up with a bunch of gravel decorations that way there's actualy 2 gallons not like 1.5...bigger is always better tho!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #5 
MameJenny

Personally, I think 2.3 gallons is fine for an average betta, especially one with large fins. Keep a close eye on the ammonia/nitrites for the first few weeks, even if they say that it's cycled. I'd say it's a good investment, as long as they're not overcharging because of the fact that it's all set up - it's not hard to buy the equipment and cycle a 2 gallon on your own.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #6 
jessriggy

I'd definitely monitor the water for a week or so before getting a fish for it for sure because it's so small and bad water quality is a complete fear of mine, you'll quite often find me doing 3am water changes because I'm concerned about it not being good enough. Would an Anubia on driftwood be alight in there? I have a spare I picked up that's just in my main tank..
Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #7 
KnownSyntax

2.3 gallons is good enough room, assuming that you take proper care of it.

I've honestly seen 1.5 gallon saltwater coral tanks, and heavily planted tanks that had multiple fish in it that all went very, very well. You just have basically no room for error in a smaller tank, which is why many like bigger tanks as you can "slack" more often with them.
KnownSyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #8 
jessriggy

Okay cool :) I think I'll get it. I just hate seeing those poor limp little loves at the shop and not being able to do anything because I don't have a tank ready.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #9 
BettaStarter24

two of my boys are in their own 2.5 gallon tanks and one is in a 1.5 gallon tank and they all do well with proper water changes. None of my tanks are cycled as I don't have the time or resources to cycle them. I'm a college student and I'd be moving the tanks around too much to be able to maintain a cycle. So frequent WC's a week for all they get. :) I'd say that's a good deal.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #10 
bettafishfins

I have 2.5 gallons for my boy, Barbara. I change 50% of the water every other day and stir up the gravel before each change to get the fish waste out of it. I never clean the gravel because the tank is an ecosystem of not only the fish inside but the good bacteria. I only clean the gravel if I have an algae outbreak. (this only happened once when I was gone for a month and had to leave my family in charge of my betta.) He is healthy, happy, and thriving in 2.5 gallons of clean, warm, water.
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote