Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Heater questian and aquariam salt

Okay, I just got a new male. He was a spur of the moment buy. Anywho I am going to divide my females 2g temperarily. She is small so it should be okay. Anyway I don't want to put him in for at least a week just to make sure he isn't sick. He is currently upstairs but is without a heater. It gets around 71 in the day and 60 something at night warmer then room. Also I think he has fin rot. So I am going to get some salt today and the stuff to divide the tank. Now is there a heater I can buy that is $15 or less for a 1 gallon fish bowl? Or should I just put him in the divided tank right away? I am not sure he is sick, and so I don't hastily want to put him the tank, but I don't want him to freeze either. And if I do put him in right away will it hurt my female to put in salt for a couple days?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would keep him QT and make daily 100% water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 10 days and maybe look at getting him his own tank.

When you house males and females divided but in the same water this can stress some not all females due to the hormone emitted by the male, her eggs will ripen and she will absorb or drop and eat the eggs over and over and this can shorten her life span.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

Okay. I won't do that then. I just got a ten gallon today for real cheap. So I am going to set that up.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #4 
Starbright

What really helps heal finrot is heat, salt and a TON of water changes! Clean water is key! :) But too much salt all the time is known to result in liver (or something) failure
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I second OFL. I treat fin rot cases that way with great success. A cheap heater for a 1 gallon would be the hydor mini 7.5 watt. Usually runs about 12 bucks but its not adjustable. Mine heats my 1 gallon hospital tanks pretty well but you have to watch the temp.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

Okay. I saw somewhere that the tetra heater works ok. I was thinking of getting that. Then putting it in the ten gallon when I need to...