Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #1 
BettaCee

Question Oto vs 5 gal

I bought an Oto yesterday for my 5 gal tank. Now I read that they prefer company. Would two Oto's be too much for a 5 gal tank?
Thanks!
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Yes, Otos like to be in shoals of 3 or more....I'd say that's a bit much for a 5. Probably want to just return that one Oto.

If you have an algae problem, look into ghost and cherry shrimp...you could fit a few in there. Your betta might make a snack out of them, but you never know until you try ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #3 
doggyhog

If you get another one, I think it'd be fine. just MAKE sure you have enough algae for them!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #4 
BettaCee

I did try some Ghost Shrimp in both of my 5 gal tanks and with both of my Betta's, they had ripped fins the next morning. I don't know if the shrimp nipped them at night, they sleep in logs, or if they bit their own tails from the stress of new shrimp mates. I removed the shrimp who are now quite happy in their little tote with a bridge and live plants and all the blood worms they can eat. Wasn't really looking to be a shrimp keeper but I'm afraid to try them with any of my other Betta's.
Marcel is OK with the Oto and he does have plenty of brown algae at this time. I am concerned because some have said they do not readily adapt to algae wafers. I'm sure the algae will run out soon. Have any of you had luck feeding them wafers?
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #5 
mfskarphedin

I've had mine eat wafers, skim the surface for "scum" (very nutritious,) skim the water edges for powdered flakes, and eat cooked zucchini slices. They also ingest microscopic buggies that live on aquarium surfaces. But this was a 55 gallon tank. I personally wouldn't put one in a 5 gal. Just IMO.

BTW, brown algae is actually diatoms!

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 05-20-2010 at 06:08 PM.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #6 
darkangel216

I actually have 1 oto in my 5g with my betta Hades. Granted, I have recently found that they prefer company of other otos, though he seems to be doing fine. He's been in my 5g for about 2 months, and has helped keep the algae in my tank down. It's actually kind of funny to see him in the open, because Hades usually goes over to him, says hi and moves on. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote