Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 
Nesado

2 dead bettas please help!!

My now dead betta Poof was housed in a 2 gallon vase. For the first 3 weeks I had him, he was really great and super healthy. I did water changes once a week and he was always really happy afterwards. Around the 4th week I had him, he started acting really lethargic. His fins were clamped and he would just sit at the bottom of the vase. I moved him into a cooler, darker room and he just seemed to get worse, but still had an appetite. Then about 3 weeks after that, he stopped eating and two days later died. For 7 days, I added the melaleuca medicine into the water and then changed it at the end, but it didn't help.

My boyfriend also got a betta named Zorg, housed in a 3 gallon vase. The same exact thing happened to him. We thought maybe it was the water at first, but our friend had also used our tap water to fill her bettas vase and he is thriving.

Now I am worried it has to do with the water temperature. Our friend keeps her betta in an air conditioned room while our bettas are in a hot apartment with no a/c. I am babysitting our friends betta (Kenneth) now and got a new one (Nesdao) and felt their water last night and it was really warm. I am wondering if the warm water is what's killing them???? Perhaps the uneaten food grows bacteria quickly because the water is so warm and that is is whats killing them???

If anyone has any thoughts as to why they're dying please let me know!! I don't want my new betta to die and I don't want to kill my friends betta!
Nesado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #2 
bloo97

Bettas are warm water fish and like temps between 77-83 (Correct Me If i'm wrong) degrees F.
How many pellets/flakes/bloodworms do U feed him?

Edit: I think It's 78-85 Degrees F.

Last edited by bloo97; 05-20-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Temperature Accident
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #3 
rubyfire

Hello welcome to the forum.

Bettas are tropical fish and need warm water to live in. Around 80 degrees F. is best.
Is the vase one of those that also have a plant? Are you usening water conditioner when you change water?
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
Nesado

It was usually 2 pellets. I started feeding them 1/2 a pellet twice a day because I read about all the ammonia problems that come with eating too much food. Also, the day before Zorg died, I noticed an uneaten pellet on the fake plant in his vase and it had grown white spores all over. So now I feed my new betta flakes (usually 2-3/day). But as for my other betta Poof that dies, I would always take out any uneaten food.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #5 
Nesado

Yeah. I would fill up a bowl with water, add a drop of water conditioner and then leave the water out overnight to reach room temperature, then switch him over in the morning.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #6 
Nesado

Also, no real plants, I read those ones at the top are bad. Just a fake plastic plant.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #7 
rubyfire

Sounds like you are and were doing everything right :/ I'm stumped. I guess it was just their time to go.
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #8 
Mitsufishi

I have 2 betta, one is in a 2 gallon tank and I HAVE TO change his water 2 times a week. Ammonia builds up fast regardless of how much you feed them. They really should be kept at about 80*F and you wont really acheive this without a heater. My bettas act very different if I forget to plug the heater back in and it drops to 75! Lethargic/clamped fins/sitting at the bottom are all things they do when they are too cold. Though i havent heard of one dying so fast from it.
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #9 
Nesado

The water is definitely really warm. I live in Hawaii and my apartment is ridiculously hot. Maybe I should do more water changes......Are there any other things that could cause the lethargic clamped fines, etc symptoms??? Do you think uneaten food that grown bacteria could cause them to get sick??
Old 05-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 
Nesado

It's just really werid. I changed my bettas water once a week and he was in my hot apartment. My best friend has changed her bettas water only once since she got him about a month and a half ago and he's in an air conditioned office. Hers is doing so much better than mine was....he's huge and vibrant, wheras mine that died was just sickly after a few weeks of having him.