Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

New ten gallon

I just got a ten gallon for $5 at a garage sale. I need a hood though or something to put on the top. Anyone know or have any links on how to make one?
Ok second do I need to cycle it? If not how often would I need to do water changes? If I do need to cycle it how often would I need to clean it?
And how many would you divide it into? I was thinking 3 or 4. Can't decide. Probally will go with 3 though.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #2 
McAttack

to make one is the simplest thing. Just a piece of plexiglass will do to prevent the cats named in your signature from getting at them! If that's not an issue, then leave it open if you want, just have the water level 2-3 inches below the edge so he can't jump out.

If you cycle, make sure you have a good amount of substrate in it for the bacteria to stay in. How often you'll need to clean will depend on how many fish are in it cause of their bioload. best thing is to invest in a water test kit. If the numbers rise, change the water. after a while you'll see how long you can go in your tank.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Congrats...what a nice find and great price too......
When I get used tank I always clean them well with a diluted bleach (20:1) and let it sit for at least 24h full of water for the leak test...even when I am told that it has no leaks, a simple twist can crack a seal and a tank sitting empty can dry the seals and they will crack

IMO/E-water changes for a 10g tank needs at least 50% weekly, true that water pram testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH is a good idea, however, you can't test for the DOC's that build up that can be harmful to the livestock health.

Prevention is easier for both you and the fish and.......
Regular weekly "Water changes" IMO/E is one of the easiest most effective way to prevent health and fin issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

okay, I got a filter if I put that in does that mean I need to cycle? Or can I put the filter in and not cycle?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #5 
mfskarphedin

Cycle. If you can add some used media and/or substrate from a tank that is already cycled, or even just in use, it will speed up the process considerably.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Okay, I am not sure if I will cycle right away. Should I cycle with a heater or is it okay not to? I really need to get my new fish in some heat as he is getting a little pale. Hopefully I can convince my mom to take me to walmart to get a heater for my fish bowl and some salt. And then if its okay I would like to start cycling I guess.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Do you understand what the nitrogen cycle is?

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-21-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #8 
McAttack

Read this, the nitrogen cycle explained very well. Once you get this, you'll know what to do. http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

Sorta. I have read about it before, but I will read up on it again. And that link doesn't work. I will find another website that explains it.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Are you wanting to fish cycle or fishless cycle?

I do the fish cycle and it can be safe as long as you are dedicated to making the needed water changes........