Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #11 
a123andpoof

Hm...Well if I do the fish cycle it will only be one fish for now. I was planning on just doing the fishless. Just cause its quicker from what I read.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I posted a fish cycle in your other thread on cycling
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #13 
a123andpoof

Okay. Thanks I am going to look at that right now.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #14 
soleilvie

Fishless or fish-in, you will want a heater. The beneficial bacteria thrive in higher temperatures so this could definitely quicken the cycle. If you go fishless, crank that thing up to like 84F (provided your heater is adjustable). I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle right now so feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #15 
a123andpoof

Okay. Well then I guess I will get a new heater for it. Whats a good heater for a 10g? I was thinking about going with the tetra 10 - 30g heater from walmart, but can anyone tell me a brand thats good, but not overly expensive. I guess i am doing a fish less just cause I might have to be gone for part of the cycle. Depends on when the vacations land. And the heater I just bought has to go in Ryos bowl.
Are you cycling with ammonia? I was planning on doing it that way.
How much ammonia would i want to put in the tank? And do I want to put it in right away?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #16 
McAttack

Try to do a fishless cycle no matter what. There are fish that are recommended for cycling, like danios, because they are strong little things that survive. Thing is, because it's strong, should we really be putting it through something that would kill other "nicer" fish?

My first tank, I cycled it using chemicals and did daily water tests, then I'd throw in some food and wait for it to decompose, so I could see if there were any ammonia spikes, and when i saw it was good, I did a test by buying 3 danios. Figured they'd create a bioload and see if the water was good. They thrived, love it, and now I'm kinda stuck with those guys and my tank isn't exactly what I wanted originally cause of these "cycling fish" hehehe.
You can buy a small bottle of ammonia at the hardware store, that's what most of my friends use to cycle new tanks, or swap media filter from established tanks.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #17 
a123andpoof

I am doing a fishless cycle, and I got some ammonia at walmart. After I get a heater and decor I am going to start. And I'll probally just bring the water to petsmart to see if it's safe. i don't want any unwanted fish.
Now If I use the ammonia can I use live plants? I was thinking of getting just a few. And what kinda plants would be good? And is there much upkeep in them?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #18 
McAttack

ask at the fishstore for low light easy plants. The pickings are slim to be honest. The nicer stuff needs CO2 systems and expensive lighting. I'm using hornswort, it's fluffy stuff. Not the best looking but it grows easily with a small light.
Mosses will do well also.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #19 
a123andpoof

Okay, but I won't have a hood. At least not right away. So can I still have real plants or should i stick with fake?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #20 
McAttack

try moss. java moss, moss ball, stuff like that. Vallispernia (tall grass) does fairly well. The darker the leaves, the less light is needed. Try a bunch of things but ask them if there's a need for co2 or med-high lights. stay away from those. stay away from red plants also.