Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #1 
bunnysaur

Dividing a 20 long for multiple fish

I just picked up a 20 long today, and I was planning to divide it for multiple bettas. I have one grumpy old one who doesn't move much (and honestly seems overwhelmed and stressed by the space he has in his 5g) that I was planning to give 3-4 gallons... but I have no idea how I'll divide the rest! I was thinking of doing the 3-4 gallon compartment, and then 3 others equally sized in the rest of the space.
Or should I just give him his little compartment and then have the rest of the tank be open for something else (not bettas)?

Is this even a good idea? If it is, any ideas for compartment size?

As for filtration, I was planning to put either a big filter in the middle or put a smaller filter at each end. which is more advisable? I know that bigger particulate won't make it out of the compartments easily, but that's what gravel vacuums are for :p
bunnysaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

The best thing to do is to put a cheap sponge filter in each section, but a 20g for 4-5 betta is a great idea. I like the home-made dividers best
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #3 
bunnysaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
The best thing to do is to put a cheap sponge filter in each section, but a 20g for 4-5 betta is a great idea. I like the home-made dividers best
Ah, good idea! I'm a sponge filter noob but I'll look into them :)
bunnysaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #4 
MikeG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnysaur View Post
Ah, good idea! I'm a sponge filter noob but I'll look into them :)
They are so underrated. I use an Elite double and it keeps my 10 gallon tank crystal clear. I like the Elite for the lift tube. You can raise it above water for a nice gentle flow which is perfect for a Betta.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote