Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 
Giri

Running that 20 gallon

The twenty gallon is beginning to run,but before I plop my fish in I want to make sure this will be ok.

I've got the majority of stuff from old tanks,gravel and charcoal, given to me by my uncle who has tanks running well and have healthy fish.

Though just about everything is done, I want to know if it is ok for me to put in my fish without cycling now.He is encouraging me to,but I was planning on a fishless cycle,and don't know if it is safe for me to put little Leon in. Any help would be AWESOME,thank you.
Giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #2 
BeautifulBettaFish

Im having a similar problem i set up a 20 gallon ,put water ,etc. in on Tues ...i was told it was normal that the water would cloud up ,but it never did...i have no idea when i can add fish??? my tank & filter etc are all new thought so im starting from scratch...you on the other hand have your uncles stuff so it may be ok ....im not real sure, i think im going to take a sample of my tank water to petsmart tomarrow, they test the water for free :) best of luck ! what fish are you putting in your 20 gallon ?
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3 
Giri

My water is already cloudy. xD As for fish, only my Betta Leon atm I ve been looking into buildi ng a co mmunity around him or a soroatiy
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 
ErnieB

A fishless cycle is recommended, However I have heard of people cycling tanks with their betta/s. Are you dividing the 20g into smaller sections for more bettas? ( assuming it is a long )

Either way you should first invest in a liquid test kit to keep tabs on your water. Best investment you can probably make. Also dont forget to put something in the water to get rid of the chlorine.
ErnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #5 
McAttack

I second what ErnieB said. The test kit is the BIGGEST and BEST tool you'll ever have. It'll give you way better answers than any forum or web site. I normally keep a pad of paper near the aquarium when I start it, and log my ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. Check it every day during the cycle. You want to see each spike one after the other, while constantly "feeding' the cycle. Read this http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm it'll explain it.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 
Giri

Yes,thanks everyone, ^^ I'm not dividing it atm I'm going to most likely make it Betta friendly community tank.