Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #1 
BettaCee

Question Divided 10 or 3 totes?

I have 3, 3 gallon totes at this time. I bought heaters from Walmart and only one of them works. It stays around 77, and it's summer. I have a constant film on the water which I "cup" off daily. I change out 1 gallon every other day.
I have choices. I can either buy two new heaters and perhaps 3 TOM filters for the totes I have. Or I can buy a 10 gal and divide 3 ways. If so, I would need to buy only one heater and one filter. If I do this, what kind of filter is best and where do you put it in your divided tank? Does one section get the heater and one the filter and nothing in the third? Forgive my ignorance.
OR>>>>>could I put two TOM's, one on each end? So many possibilities.

So, other than the cost...is it healthier to keep my Betta's separated in totes? Do you think the filters would help with the film? I HAVE read the long post about the film and I honestly don't think there is any one answer.

I understand that ALL of the questions have been addressed in previous posts. There are just so many differing opinions to consider. I am most confused....as always.
Thanks!
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Go for the divided tank!!!! SO much easier!

For the filter I love my aqua tech 5-15 filter. It's really quiet and only 11 bucks at walmart. You just have to make a baffle (http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php) to slow the current down.

Edit: I posted too soon...

Put both the heater and filter in the middle section like so: (sorry, bad pic)This way all the heat gets distributed equally.

Last edited by doggyhog; 05-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Really, its all up to you......I'd personally go with a divided 10.
If you want to keep your guys in the totes, you'll want to preform twice weekly 100% changes on each tote. After your 10 gallon is cycled, you'd only need to preform one weekly PWC.
I don't know much about the film....only that its harmless and has an unknown cause(dust maybe...?). Not sure if a filter would affect it.....the filter should be baffled though, so their shouldn't be a lot of water movement.

My 10 is split 3 ways....I have the filter in the middle and the heater off to the right, never had any trouble with this tank, I love it to death.

If you choose to go with the 10, take a look around google and read up on how to do a fishless cycle...Heres a thread about making your own dividers http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Hopefully this helps some :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #4 
BettaCee

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will seriously consider the divided 10.

Thanks for the link to the divider tutorial. Looks easy enough. Should I lower the water level to discourage jumping? That's my biggest concern with dividers. Thanks again!

Also, I have seent eh link to the baffle thingy before. Thanks! Great idea!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

If you do with the ten gallon. And you get the pre-made dividers. I would keep the water level one inch below the top of the dividers. Or have the dividers in the pic shown. Some Bettas have been known to jump onto the other side. I have never had a problem.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote