Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #11 
streetlightdawn

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you get a heater so that the temp remains constant and high enough for a betta. They like it from 78-82 degrees
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #12 
BeautifulBettaFish

HI & Welcome :) Very nice tank...heres what i think :you cant keep two bettas in one tank they will fight & one will die....

when doing water changes,make sure to "age" the water (put tap water in empty clean water jug or other clean container & let it just sit a couple days with no cap/cover to let the chlorine,etc evaporate) you can put those drops in too ... its very important that the water you are putting into the tank be the same temp as water in the tank ,temp needs to be consistant....be diligent w/ water changes !

also filter current should not be too strong ,not good for bettas,

most people say a heater is good,a light heats the water some too ...so depending where you live & what the temp is like in your house,etc...

betta jump ,so some kind of lid is good ,but also they come to the surface of the water to breathe air ,so keep that in mind too ie leave space (air)between water level & cover ...i lke to leave cover off when im there to watch fish..also if ever you put him in a cup (lets just say) be mindful he dosnt jump out of the cup either ,cover w/ screen or something so he can still breathe...

sea shells should go im salt water tanks only...careful what you put in your tank ....

food i feed betta food flakes,pellets, freeze dried bloodworms and shrimp ,dont overfeed ...

sorry for the book :) good luck!
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #13 
PBJ

The shell have been cleaned in Rubbing alcohol and boiled. I live on the beach so yes they came out of salt water.

Oh yes we do aged water now we keep ten gallons on hand all the time. I do need to get a heater as I keep my house about 68 degrees I live on galveston island TX.

So can I safely build one of the barrier I saw on the forum and house two? Or is 2.5 gallon per betta not enough?

I will defiantly convince hubby to take the shells out though. Our guppys have lived with them for over a year. But that his tank so i don't know.

Will the algi eater be able to live with the Betta?

Thank you for all the info I am sucking up as much as I can.

Last edited by PBJ; 05-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
PBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #14 
PBJ

Where do you guys get your bloodworms?

And is the shrimp just like the shrimp we eat or something different?

And how much do they get a day I see that some feed everyday and other feed every couple. As said ti will be a few weeks at least so I am going to get everything before hand to. I will be getting a show quality betta what ever that means do they have betta shows?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #15 
sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Where do you guys get your bloodworms?

And is the shrimp just like the shrimp we eat or something different?

And how much do they get a day I see that some feed everyday and other feed every couple. As said ti will be a few weeks at least so I am going to get everything before hand to. I will be getting a show quality betta what ever that means do they have betta shows?
You can get freeze dried bloodworms at any petstore. The shrimp that they eat are called brine shrimp.

Most people feed everyday, between 4-6 pellets a day.

I have no idea about the betta shows.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #16 
PBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
You can get freeze dried bloodworms at any petstore. The shrimp that they eat are called brine shrimp.

Most people feed everyday, between 4-6 pellets a day.

I have no idea about the betta shows.

I mean the bloodworms and shrimp how many of those do you feed?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #17 
TheJadeBetta

I can't see it. The algae eater, I mean.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #18 
JKfish

Yes, there are betta shows, but there aren't that many. The first one in my state happened not that long ago, and I have to wait a year to go to the next one :P

Because bloodworms and brine shrimp are treats, and betta fish are really tiny, I wouldn't advise giving more than one or two a day.

Two bettas can share a divided tank. Here's a good link on how to make an inexpensive tank divider: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025 While you could make it work and divide the five gallon in half, many people will say that five gallons is the minimum for one betta fish. If you want to divide the tank into 2.5 gallons per betta fish, any other fish in the tank would have to find a different tank to live in.

Last edited by JKfish; 05-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #19 
PBJ

I am thinking I will just get him one.

All the feeders leave in three weeks when they are big enough and the algi eater will stay.

I have to figure out how to change the water and such before hand.

I am going to get some stuff for the tank also. More betta like
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #20 
PBJ

I will be getting a water test kit friday for my current residents i found one at Keith shop.

And also a heater for when I get my gumpys and Keith special ordered me some food also.

Oh for those who would like to know Flopets.com is where I get everything from