Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 
newfishmom

driftwood

Gathered some driftwood from the creek/ditch and have been working on it this week. My question is...has anyone done this and if so did you have any problems with it forming any alge/moldy/skummy stuff. It hasn't happened yet, I am just putting it into the tanks today. I was just wondering.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I get nearly all my aquarium stuff from native collecting and have never had any problems, but I also live in a pretty safe area that is free of pollution/chemicals...etc....IMO this is a bigger worry than anything else....

I clean my wood, hard wood and roots by boiling them for at least 20 min and if they are already water logged I use them right away, otherwise I place them in a bucket to soak for as long as it takes...lol.....
Depending on the type of wood and if water logged or not I will see a white/clear fungus type growth on it and it will resolve on its own after a while and has never caused any problems for the tank/livestock, I will see the snails and shrimp on it eating it as well as my plecos and otos and yet to have any die or get sick in the many, many years of doing this.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #3 
newfishmom

Thanks! I did boil everything, 3 times! Just to make for certain. I also soaked it for awhile till it wasn't turning the water a yucky color. I didn't want to wait to waterlog it so I attached it to some tile pieces. I am very impatient! Hopefully soon I will post some before and after pictures. Have gotten two tanks done and I am really loving the way they have turned out.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote