Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #1 
TianTian

Question Red VT male (Cinder) + ????

Been thinking about getting a female later... and once I find a market to sell the baby Bettas to (must have goal in mind!) and the resources to make a breeding happen I want to breed Cinder.

I know VTs are the "mutts" of the Betta showing world, but I don't intend to show the offspring. Just to sell them and get breeding experience.

And even if I don't end up breeding the two, I really want to find a female that has compatible and/or complimentary colors to Cinder.

He's all red... so what should I go for in a female as far as color goes?
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #2 
Zenandra
Banned

Well what are your color goals for the offspring? Naturally if you want to stick to his coloration you should find a solid red female, a red cambodian female, or a red marble female. A yellow or orange based female will also give red offspring as yellow and orange are red based. I wouldn't suggest breeding with a blue or a green, you might get some nice colors but you'll likely get a lot of multi "mutt" colors.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #3 
TianTian

Thanks for your suggestions! I like the look of red cambodian females (always have). This coloring is also the easiest to come by in my area (at least as far as I've found). I have yet to find a red marble female and that would be AWESOME to have a girl like that! I didn't give any thought to yellow or orange... I definitely like the idea of going over into orange, though.

What about a black female? Or all-white?

As far as a goal of color for the offspring.... solids are alright, though I like blue eyes, marbling and multi-colors for the fins. Red and black are nice... Though cambodian is still my favorite so far.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #4 
Zenandra
Banned

If you would be interested I have a really nice Orange cambodian HM female I could send you just for the cost of shipping! She doesn't really fit into any of the lines Im working on
Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 
TianTian

Oh! So tempting!! I'd love to have her but I face a few issues:

1. I don't have tank setup for her!
2. I'm unemployed and my priorities right now are saving for necessary things.... (rent, utilities, groceries, etc)
3. How much would shipping cost?

On a brighter note... my birthday is coming in 11 days, so if I happen to get some "spending money", I might reconsider your kind offer! :)

May I bother you for a picture anyway? I've never seen an orange cambodian. :)
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #6 
Zenandra
Banned

Priority shipping for one fish would be about $6.00 :)

She looks a lot redder in these then she really is. In real life shes a dark orange!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

She's cute!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #8 
TianTian

SO CUTE! And with a slight opaque on her dorsal! OH so tempting!! I'd pay you through Paypal the six if I had a tank. Does she have a name?

Side note:
I'm actually on petco online right now doing some quick budgeting... there's a petsmart closer to me but I prefer petco anyday. I'd have to get her a temporary kritter keeper (probably 1gal. or bigger) and a heater. Some tank decor and an extra betta water conditioner.... let's see....

kritter keeper= $8
heater= $14.88 (from walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656 .... I trust this one.)
Betta water condtioner= $3 (I'd need one extra so I can keep up with two fish)
Plant= $8
Somewhere she can hide in= $3.99 (GAH I LOVE THESE THINGS!!!! http://www.petco.com/product/10543/P...t=FishFC_Decor Tian-Tian had one, Cinder has one... Taco had a mini-cichlid cave... though he was the exception to every rule.)
Siphon tube (because my turkey baster needs to retire soon)= http://www.petco.com/product/2406/Ma...t=OnSiteSearch about $5

So all in all... a new Betta would cost me about $42.87 for a proper setup. This is not including, of course, the girl herself.

My internet bill coming up is around $78.

GAH life sucks sometimes. :(

If I managed to find employment and saved enough money... would she still be available later? Say, a few months?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #9 
TianTian

So I re-budgeted and made a few sacrifices... if you do not approve for your female then perhaps I can try to luck out at my LFS...

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=119520 Medium Kritter Keeper
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1189450 1 silk plant (assorted types are always found at my LFS)
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=997528 Hydor mini tank heater.... (it lasts about a good year or so before it kicks the bucket. I figure it's a good starting point)

And really that's all I need to get started on keeping another Betta. I found an extra bottle of conditioner and I have plenty of food left for another 5 months.

total cost: (not including discounts... and this is if I were buying online; I find it's always cheaper to buy in-store) $32.05 USD

Much better, methinks.

But I still don't have employment.
Dagummit.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #10 
Zenandra
Banned

Hey name is Foxy :) If you'd really like her I'm more then willing to send you a couple plants and one of my extra hyrdo mini heaters along in the box with her! :D