Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #1 
MyLilBettaMen

My new betta is still bottom sitting??

I've had my new betta since Saturday and I've made sure not to cross contaminate the water between his tank and my other two tanks and I added conditioner to the water before he was in it to get rid of chloramines and chlorine and enhance his slime coat but I know the PH is really high still about 8.0 and I made sure both the temperatures were the same before moving him to the tank and I left him alone all Sunday and yesterday except to offer him food which he didn't eat. He's been bottom sitting a lot, my other betta will swim around and flare at his own reflection but this one won't even swim unless he's startled I have 14 days from Saturday to return him but I really dont want to.. Is there anything else I can do?
MyLilBettaMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size of tank and how much and how often are your water changes...and what is the water temp???
pH is fine don't try to change it with chemicals...he will adjust without issues...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 
MyLilBettaMen

He was in a little cup of water when I got him but now he's in a 1/2 gallon tank. Water changes for his tank is 100% twice a week, especially since he wont eat and his food is going to poison the water if I let it sit there. The water temp is at the coldest 75F and warmest 82F but usually stays between the two.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You may want to increase your water change to 3 times a week in that size bowl, and since he is new he may be adjusting and will eat when given some more time, your temp is okay but it is best to keep is stable...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5 
MyLilBettaMen

i've been trying to find a heater small enough for him, my other betta tank is a 2 gallon and I want to put in a divider once I'n sure he's not carrying anything to protect my other betta, that tank usually stays at 75F. Also, the betta that's already in there had Ich about 4 months ago because of cross contamination with my goldfish so I don't want another breakout of that in the 2g
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #6 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Try a 5 gallon.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #7 
MyLilBettaMen

I just got a 2.5 g for him, I dont have space for a 5g, especially with my 30g tank that my shubunkin is in.. also I measured the deminsions of my other tank and found out its only a 1g :( so I'm going to try and find an upgrade for him as well that I have space for
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #8 
MyLilBettaMen

sweettt My neighbors just gave me their 10g from when their oscar was a fry. I'm going to have to find a place to put it but my boys will be a lot happier in it I think. I'm going to try and find a solid divider so they can each get 5g of swimming space. :)