Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #11 
lastbook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
lastbook: Wish I could do that...but what if you only have one store that sells bettas? The other day I found a dead betta floating in its cup covered in fungus. I simply gave it to the employee and said, "You'd probably better dispose of this." They can be completely clueless-once I heard two saying that "all the bettas seem to be dying." Well what do you know-I looked and they almost all had Ick/Ich.
Honestly, if you're reporting it to corporate, the threat is enough. If you tell a store employee this, of course they're going to notice if you come back in. Ideally, you shouldn't be supporting a store that doesn't treat their bettas well, but you can still say it. Think of it as a little white lie to help save the fishies. :)

And 1fish2fish, I think the rehearsal of the argument is key. Because like I said, once customers start ranting, employees tune it out because they figure "this person is just going to yell at me no matter what, so I'll just think about what I'm going to get to eat when I get off instead of trying to make them happy when it's clearly impossible."

The Petco I'd reported was kind of a good news/bad news thing with the bettas. The water on all of them had clearly been changed out since I'd issued my complaint and the bettas looked better in general, but there were two dead ones, including a gorgeous blue & white butterfly HM that I would've gotten in a heartbeat despite having no more room. So I did bring it up with the person working the fish department, and am going to submit another complaint. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to talk to the employee about it if not for reading everyone's reactions here, so thanks for that.

Plus I bought the worst one there. Sigh. They gave me a discount (rang him up as a VT instead of a CT), and I know I shouldn't have given the discussion we're having about not supporting pet stores that treat their animals like this, but I'm a bleeding heart for animals in general. So here's Russell. And sadly, yes, the colors in the picture are true to life.

lastbook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #12 
Learn To Fly

lastbook87-
the conditions have gotten a lot better, it really seems like if they have sick bettas those bettas were sick at the breeders. I know the day they get their shipments in and I normally go every time. Once there was one near death, and since it had just gotten there it couldn't have been their fault. I do occasionally see sick ones however, and I'll be sure to register a complaint if I see one next time.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #13 
lastbook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
lastbook87-
the conditions have gotten a lot better, it really seems like if they have sick bettas those bettas were sick at the breeders. I know the day they get their shipments in and I normally go every time. Once there was one near death, and since it had just gotten there it couldn't have been their fault. I do occasionally see sick ones however, and I'll be sure to register a complaint if I see one next time.
Yeah, I know what you mean, and I doubt there's much that can be done about that when you consider that the breeders replace the ones that die (or at least I believe they do). So the stores have no reason to complain to the breeder about the health of the stock they get, which is a shame.

These discussions always make me want to go apply at Petsmart or something just so I can take care of the fish! I'm no expert, of course, but I could do more than is being done at most of them. And then I realize that if I got a job at a pet store, I would want to take home everything...
lastbook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #14 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
These discussions always make me want to go apply at Petsmart or something just so I can take care of the fish! I'm no expert, of course, but I could do more than is being done at most of them. And then I realize that if I got a job at a pet store, I would want to take home everything...
Yeah same here! Especially so I can correct the customers who don't know anything and save the bettas from terrible deaths at the hands of their ignorant owners ;). On the bright side, you'd get employee discounts so you could take home everything...
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #15 
ninjafish

This thread got me thinking..Do you think all Petcos get their shipments of bettas in on the same day? I heard several people say that Wednesday was their betta shipment day, but I'm not sure..I guess I should ask someone next time I'm in there.

I wanted to know, because it'll be interesting to find out how many bettas come in sick. My petco doesn't often have sick bettas, but when they do, I let them know.
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote