Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1 
TianTian

Cinder has fungus...

I noticed that while Cinder remained swimming actively, his appetite had been decreasing until now. This morning I finally figured out that Cinder got fungus, so I'm treating him with some Jungle. Gonna double-clean his tank today after the medicine runs its course and see if that helps. He's never had fungus before until we moved here. New water supply, perhaps?
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #2 
TianTian

Cinder is currently in a Mason jar, frowning fiercely at me and trying to escape (luckily I have a lid, muwahaha).

After putting the Jungle fungus Clear into his 2.5 gal. tank, I let it sit for about 30 minutes... then, I prepared some water into a regular-sized mason jar. I made sure it was the same temperature as his tank water, then added some aquarium salt and water conditioner. Finally, I added some of the top layer of water from Cinder's tank into the jar, then gently scooped him up and into it using a net.

Once he was situated into the jar, I took out all of his decorations, rinsed them thouroughly in hot water and unplugged his heater and took it out of the tank.

Once the tank was completely bare, I swished around the Jungle Fungus Clear once more and discovered all kinds of gross particles floating around in the water. I then dumped the entire tank. I rinsed it with clean water, then refilled it with fresh water, added water conditioner and put the heater back. I then replaced all of the tank decorations back where they belong.

All I need to do is wait for the temperature to stabilize and I think Cinder will have a new, fresh start (and hopefully be fungus-free).

Am I doing it right?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 
TianTian

Well, Cinder is back in his tank. After a few minutes of getting readujsted, he's acting like nothing happened.

However I DID spy one piece of fungus that looked like it scurried under his castle. :( So I may do another full fungus treatment session tomorrow or something just to make sure EVERYTHING is out.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #4 
TianTian

Hopefully the final update: Looks like Cinder is perfectly healthy again; he even got some of the purple coloring in his fins back! :D

I may or may not do another fungus treatment tomorrow; we'll see.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #5 
Learn To Fly

Glad he's doing well! My betta, Titan, recently had fungus as well. I use something from I think Marcell or something called Tetracycline. It works for finrot and fungus and just about everything :D! And he's in a 2.5 gallon as well. It's really easy to dose-one tab per 10 gallons so quarter it. Just thought I'd tell you about it.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #6 
TianTian

Thanks! :)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #7 
Learn To Fly

No problem, and actually it's not Marcell it's Mardel. Only a couple letters off lol.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote