Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #11 
CrazedHoosier

+1 Pandanke. Haha, random question for you Bettacrab, did you know there was a page on Facebook called Hermit Crab Crazy? Do you own it?
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #12 
myexplodingcat

If you
a) had no goldfish (or guppies, really);
b) had only females;
c) brought them in over the winter; and
d) made sure the water params, temp, etc, were okay...

...then, yeah. They'd be fine.

I would just keep them inside, in tanks, though. If you're feeling that your pond needs spicing up, maybe a big pleco you've grown up to size indoors? Or some platies? But yeah.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #13 
Bettacrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanke View Post
A couple problems with that include the fact Goldies will eat whatever can fit in their mouth, and the additional issue of temperature. Ponds are typically too cool for bettas, which is why coldwater fish such as koi and goldfish do so great in it.

Another issue is the fact that it'd be inhumane to leave them over winter if you live in most areas which have a winter. Seeing as your profile says New Jersey, it would not be advisable. Bettas do not overwinter, they'll die. Even if you manage to somehow get them out prior, you almost definitely wont see any successful fry, and likely will have a few deceased from trying.
I said for the summer only.
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #14 
Bettacrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedHoosier View Post
+1 Pandanke. Haha, random question for you Bettacrab, did you know there was a page on Facebook called Hermit Crab Crazy? Do you own it?
No, but I have youtube called crazyhermitcrab
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #15 
tankman12

Ya but bettacrab, where are you going to put the bettas after? Do you have a tank for every male? Do you have the room for a 20 gallon + tank for a sorority or individual tanks? Where are you going to grow the fry out? Where are you going to bring or sell the babies? In a pond, betta babies will probably survive, cuz of all the micro organisms and hiding places. I know some one that breeds rainbow fish in their pond. But he had three 250 gallon tanks. So he had a place to but them and he also sold some. But rainbows are more wanted usually in a pet store.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 07-30-2014 at 08:15 AM.
tankman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #16 
Bettacrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
Ya but bettacrab, where are you going to put the bettas after? Do you have a tank for every male? Do you have the room for a 20 gallon + tank for a sorority or individual tanks? Where are you going to grow the fry out? Where are you going to bring or sell the babies? In a pond, betta babies will probably survive, cuz of all the micro organisms and hiding places. I know some one that breeds rainbow fish in their pond. But he had three 250 gallon tanks. So he had a place to but them and he also sold some. But rainbows are more wanted usually in a pet store.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was planning on ordering small tanks for the males. Or dividing the tank. I was going to raise thm in the pond. And then put the females in my tank.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #17 
tankman12

That might seem good at first. But there will be a lot of breeding. So you my end up with 700+ bettas. (So lets split that in half) 350 male bettas, dang that will be a lot of tank splitting. 350 females, for that MAYBE a 250 gallon tank. If you have the space/money than ya go for it.

I would just put 1 male, 1 female to keep down the breeding.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 07-31-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Like said before.. the goldfish are likely to eat any adult betta you put in there..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #19 
tankman12

I dont think they will eat them. But that is IMO. As long as they arent huge. I have seen bettas with 5-6 inch goldfish (at a couple of my local petcos and lfs). They have been together for a while...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 07-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

And before I mentioned that my 2" fantail had half a male in his mouth... I had to pull the darned thing out, and goldfish have nasty teeth in their throats, so I'm pretty sure it's quite possible.
Again, why are you suggesting the OP risk the lives of their fish? A pet store setting is very improper, and not done in the fish's best interests so should never be the basis of "proof" of anything.. animals are stressed to the max and do not behave naturally..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote