Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #1 
Hirelena

Playing with your betta

'ello everyone!

I just want to say I love this community, everyone here seem so passionate about their little fishy friends and it just makes me so happy to read the posts ^^.

I have a little blue/black male betta named Aya who seems to like watching House lol. He has a pillow bottle top, and a small floating ring floating in his tank, and a couple of plants and a hiding place for him. I want to do more though to entertain him, so I was hoping to get some new ideas.

So I wanted to ask a simple question, how do you play with your betta?
Hirelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 
mfskarphedin

My betta amuses himself with his pond snails, and I just watch. He flares at them, picks at them, and plays "snailsketball" with them on the surface. He also eats the eggs and babies - multipurpose little critters. :)
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #3 
Hirelena

Thats adorable <3

LOL except of course eating babies, but thats normal for bettas I guess. Hehe well sadly I dont have snails for him. But Im glad he amuses himself ^^
Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #4 
CodeRed

FINGER CHASE! It is the game of the GODS. Every single one of my bettas love a good chase around the tank xD
Pingpong balls were suggested, but ending up being a dud. I like to set up multiple markers around the tank, so they're never bored with the colors xD Drives them nuts xD They mostly amuse themselves, though. Only two don't have a neighbor, so the rest just flare at each other all day long xD Good exercise. And it amuses me, too xD Little demon fish trying to get each other, blissfully unaware that in able to reach each other they'll need to transport through two walls of plastic and two lids xD Silly boys.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 
Beethoven

I like to play finger chase of course, sometimes I chase him some times he chases me. I like to get real close to the bowl and see if he'll flare at me. If he does, I back off a little and then come back a few minutes later. It makes him feel like he's defended his territory. Sometimes he just runs to his plant though. He likes to play hide and seek. I'll turn the bowl around and he'll swim to the other side of his plants. haha. We have lots of fun. Sometimes he just watches me while I type a paper or something. He's on my desk so I guess we spend a lot of time together. =)
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 
Hirelena

Aw you guys all have nice little bonding methods ^^.

I had another his wife next to him in a different tank, but I guess I put too much water in it, and she loved to jump and one day she jumped out *sad face*

So he cant 'flex' and flirt for her anymore, but I think thats about the time he started watching House with me. Lol but Ill keep doing the finger chases, because yes, he seems to love it.

Hehe Ill also find some little scraps of color paper to tape to the outside of the tank and maybe Ill get a rise out of him. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #7 
metalbetta

Finger chase... Oh good times.
Mine normally find ways to entertain themselves. Winston just got a new tank, with all new decor and everything, and spent most of last night flaring at every single brightly colored thing in there. I set up a bunch of shells. They were apparently invading his territory.

Nina has a big shell she plays hide-and-seek in... Sometimes when she's hanging out in her little hiding spot I'll go up to the tank, she'll notice the shadow and poke her little head out to see what's going on. and it'll be a back and forth thing for a while!

I haven't found out what my (newly found out) male PK likes to do, but I've got plenty of time to figure it out. For now, finger chase seems to work. As far as I've seen, flaring at anything and everything that moves makes him happy. He's an aggressive little guy!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

My bettas love to play finger chase too <3 They are absolutely adorable!
My female has snails in her tank and likes to pry them off the glass and then carry them over to the other side of the tank and drop them. You can hear the snails slide across the glass when she pushes them!
Also my bettas get really excited when I come in the room and start jumping out of the water.
They also loved being stroked. ;)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #9 
Jayy

My bettas like to flare and chase pencils and my ones in the past loved buttons!!!!!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #10 
rachel1811

Po our new boy loves circuit training around his tank. Twists n turns thru the plants.......under the 1 by his caves.....in n out all 3 caves in succession......then lays on top of the filter n starts again.

He doesnt flare at me but mum came to see our new addition n he doesnt like her much lol

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote