Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #1 
Lilc5cc

help!

I just bought two betta fish for my sons. Both are in separate tanks. One of the fish is showing signs of white cottony substance around his fins and gills. The other one does not, but he seems a bit lethargic and his fins seem a bit limp. I think the one has columnaris but I'm not sure.
Lilc5cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are have problems....have a few questions....

How big are tanks, how much and how often have you been changing the water and when was the last water change, any additives used, if so, how much and what for, water temp, filtration, heater, lights?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 
Lilc5cc

We just got the fish today. I bought two Betta Bow front double tank for each fish. I rinsed the tank out and used room temperature bottled water to fill the tank. I think we missed that the one betta was already sick. From what I was told, we can use a tank without a heater since the tanks are small enough. I haven't added anything to the water yet and am working on getting a thermometer and ph balance tester. Unfortunately the fish were purchased at Walmart on a last minute decision. Any advice would be helpful.
Lilc5cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you know how many gallon the tanks are?

Also, bottled water is not regulated and sometimes they are just filtered tap water so you need to use a dechlorinator with it, also, due to the filtration process the water can be missing the minerals the fish needs for good health long term.
Is something wrong with your tap water that you can't use it?

You may want to take the sick fish back and get another one

Betta are tropical fish and do best in water temp of 78-80F

I would not use any chemicals to change the pH, this species will adjust to pH of our water as long as it is stable, sudden changes can kill them
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote