Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #1 
Jwoz

Don't Know What to Do

I just got home and one of my bettas seems to be extremely bloated and is having trouble swimming, he can't stay off the surface no matter how hard he struggles. When he is on the surface he tends to be on his side and when he is sitting normal part of him is completely out of the water. I don't know what it could be but possibly his swim bladder? I really don't know and was wondering what I can do.
Jwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank and do you use filtration, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used, water temp, what kind of food are you feeding and how much and how often?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #3 
Jwoz

20 Gallon long divided in 4ths. Water temp is 78 and is filtered. The last water change was monday. Last time fed was thursday and each betta got like 4 bloodworms. I was just going to feed them. Right now hes swimming down under some red ludwiga so the leaves keep him from surfacing. And I used AQ salt friday, but not even enough to treat all the water just used on tbsp which is for about 5 gallons

Last edited by Jwoz; 05-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since it is just one....I would QT him in a small bowl bare bottom- half to 1 gallon and start making daily 100% with Epsom salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days, hold all food for 3 days and feed very small amount on day 4.
The Epsom salt will help with edema and work as a laxative as well as the antibacteria/fungal properties
I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt in a clean 1g jug and keep it in the same location as the fish so the water temps are about the same, I like to keep my water in the 76F area for treatments.
If on city water supply make sure to use a good dechlorinator with the water.
Also, I like to use fresh garlic juice on their food but it is not something you have to do.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #5 
Jwoz

To describe how his swimming behavior is after putting him in the new tank he tries to swim to the bottom he cant stay down and floats back up to the top again, and floats on his side.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like a swim bladder issue (not disease) the duct between the swim bladder and stomach may be plugged, swollen, inflamed or infected or a combination.
The espom salt 1tsp/gal along with daily 100% water changes with Epsom salt water for 10 days along with a fast can help these symptoms, however, if it is an advanced infection you may need to use a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use OTC medication so I can not recommend any
Old 05-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #7 
Jwoz

Looking better already, hes not up on his side anymore which is a plus
Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 
Jwoz

So hes already back to normal, no bloating or anything, would it be safe to put him back into the 20? or just keep him in this 1G for a while.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I would treat for at least 5 days