Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #1 
LotusRuin

Harmonus is having problems :\ [pictures]

My veiltail Harmonus has surprised me with a terrible looking tail. I went out for one day, left the tank light off the whole time since I didn't want to stress him and his tankmate, and came back at night to see that his tail looked shredded, but only at the edges, and with a hole in it very close to the shredding. I'm not sure what did it.

There is nothing new in his tank, and he's been there for a month with the same things. The filter is external, so I don't think he's getting caught in it. I put aquarium salt in the tank, left the light off to give him more rest, and went to bed myself. I woke up the next morning, and about an inch of his tail was completely gone. It was bleeding and very ragged. I plopped him in a tiny bowl just to make sure it wasn't the filter.

I still can't figure out what's going on. Can anyone tell me what may be happening?

Futher info: water is perfect, temp is perfect. My room is consistently dark, so I leave the hood light on for about 8 hours a day to give them light.

Sidenote: I think he may be biting his tail. I haven't caught him, but this happened after a full [from 10am-10pm] day of flaring at my other betta male. I noticed he couldn't flare his tail fully, and it looked like every time he would flare, he would tip downwards.

And here's one of Caldus, to see if it's finrot or not

Thanks for your help! <3
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Do they have any decorations?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, what other tank mates in with him, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used?

What are the water pram numbers for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and the water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #4 
LotusRuin

He was in with decorations, yes, but he's been in with them for over a month and this just happened in the last few days. The tank is a filtered and cycled 10g, divided in half, the other half houses Caldus. Added Nutrafin's "Cycle" to water changes which are minimal, and added aquarium salt for healing his fin. I get the water tested at my LPS, and they told me the water is stunningly perfect [insert happy here].

Might be important to mention that he has a curled dorsal fin, because in some pictures, the curlyness [which is uncurling!?] looks like a mangled mess.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #5 
Sella

I have two bettas that I put into a divided tank a month ago and since then both of their tails look like that. I think it's stress, and I'm trying to figure out how to make room for a third tank so I can re-separate them.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Numbers for the water prams would be helpful.... also how much and how often on the water changes?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Either that's really nasty fin rot or they're both biting their tails.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #8 
LotusRuin

Water temperature stays between 80F-82F always, thanks to my heater.

I just changed about 25% of the water earlier today, added nothing. I have no idea the specifics about the water, just that LPS says it's perfect for bettas. They're surprisingly knowledgeable about bettas, too. Could it be horrible finrot? I'll post pictures I took today of the boys so you can see. Sorry they're blurry! And Harmonus' water was just changed too. The bowl's just cloudy on the outside from the flash.

Harmonus:

Harmonus again:

Caldus:

Last edited by LotusRuin; 05-24-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added water temp :)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #9 
LotusRuin

I also just discovered that Harmonus has a bump above his left eye. It's the color of the rest of his head. I shall keep an eye on that. Upon another close inspection, which included me shining a flashlight on him and him looking at me like I'm nuts, I noticed there is a scale on his back that is slightly raised. Perhaps there WAS something in his tank that beat him up?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I would QT them in a smaller bowl and make 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days, if you have IAL or oak leave steep them in some pre-mixed salt water and use as well with the daily water changes, I like to feed high protein diet with fresh garlic juice too.

Once you get this under control IMO/E make weekly 50% water changes on the divided 10g tank with a good vacuum to help keep the water quality at levels to help keep the fish healthy and fins intact

Tags
fishyfins