Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #11 
LotusRuin

Oldfishlady, thank you so very much for all the helpful cures for my fishies. Is this finrot? I thought with finrot, the fish would have black outlines to their fins, and I thought it took much longer than a day to decay.
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #12 
LotusRuin

It might be important to say that Harmonus' fins have not changed in any way since I started this thread. They are not continuing to be shredded, nor are they receding at all. I do know that his tail was initially heavy [he would try to flare and be dragged down a bit by the end of his tail] so could this possibly be the result of being frustrated with not being able to fully flare?

Also, since being QT'd in a much smaller bowl [put him in there when I started the thread] he has made a bubble nest, and has been less stressed out. Possible that he couldn't take being in the divided 10g?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Depending of the stage of rot, fin colors etc....the fin rot can look different- decay can also be different due to water temp, water quality as well as the fish stress level- all are factors in both healing and decay.

Most Bacteria thrive best in warmer water, I treat in water temp if 76F....not too cold for the Betta that can cause increased stress and not too high so that the bacteria can reproduce too fast....

Yes, some fish take longer to get used to a new and larger space and some will never adjust and the stress will add to problems due to their lowered immune response secondary to stress

Sometimes the too large/heavy fins that make it hard for the fish to swim, flare...etc....can cause problems in of itself to a degree.

Keep up the daily water changes and keep us posted...hope he heals up nicely and I am sure he will as you seem to be a person that cares and takes pride about their charges......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #14 
dipsydoodlenoodle

the first one looks like he has fin rot.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #15 
LotusRuin

Harmonus has been doing beautifully. The edges of his fins are clear now with new fin growth. I've been doing the proper water changes, along with adding aquarium salt each time. I've been keeping any lights on in the room rather dim, and I have closed the blinds to my window to help keep the natural light out. I have not turned on the hood light [over the tank where Caldus is kept] except for at feeding time/water change time/salt time.

BUT [and there's always a but]

I put his bowl back up where my other tank is, and near it, not next to it, 2 days ago. I checked on him today [day 3] and there's a small square-shaped chunk missing out of his fin again. For those of you who feed your fish Betta Pellets, it's approximately the size between 4-6 pellets laying horizontally, in rows of 2.

What else can I do for my boy? D:

Tags
fishyfins