Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 
sanosfish

lazy swimming - floating on one side - film

My Betta recently recovered from a couple intense episodes of bloating. Luckily it was not dropsy and he has been doing ok. The only problem is that he is swimming around so much lazier then before - on occasion he will regain a strong buoyancy preventing him from swimming low (he mildy rebloats?) but what worries me is that he "sleeps" so much more often now - sometimes completely sideways until provoked.

Some days I will return to his 1.5 gal tank and notice a thin reflective, almost oily looking layer on the surface of the water - is this a normal thing produced by bettas?

I feed him 1 pellet every other day

What do you guys think it is?

I appreciate this
sanosfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used and what is the water temp and any filtration used?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #3 
sanosfish

Water changes are 50% changed once a week - next change is tomorrow - only things added is aquarium salt - temperature is about 76 - there is a filter being used that was replaced about two weeks ago.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #4 
reaperss06

internal parasite maybe?
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Increase the number of water changes to 50% twice weekly since you have filtration on a regular basis. Today, I would do 50% daily for 4-5 days, hold his food for 3 days and feed half normal amount on day 4 and see how he does.

Is the aquarium salt long term? if so, you may want to stop using it as that may be some of the problem.

And the filter media, just give it a good swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change instead of changing it, you want it to look dirty...thats the good bacteria...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-24-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #6 
sanosfish

wow, thank you guys i'll definitely start the biweekly water changes.

what you said about the filter - does that mean the water should look a slight bit cloudy?

i used just a pinch of aquarium salt each water change (like literally four tiny crystals) since it doesn't evaporate out - i was told the electrolytes will help him in his uptake of ions in the water? i'm not sure what do you think?

@reaperss06 i hope its not an internal parasite but ill keep lookin
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

No, the water should not look cloudy in the tank, the increase in water changes should fix that, the filter media itself should look dirty and not affect the color of the water.
If you are using tap water with a dechlorinator or well water, everything is in that water for the fish and salt is not needed, using small amount of salt long term can create resistant and not recommended, making the daily water changes will remove it and I would not replace and only use it in the correct dosage for treatments for no longer than 10 days.

I know what the label states on the aquarium salt and it is to sell more product of something that you really don't need, in neglected tanks it works great short term but water changes will work in the long term when done correctly..i.e. dechlorinator with all new water and water temps within a couple of degree from old and new water, regular water changes.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would feed him 2 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote