Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 
BeautifulBettaFish

Attempting to set up a 20 gallon long tank...need some help please

Ok Im trying ...this all seems so complex to me ...and i dont know the way my brain works im easily frustrated with thing that are too complex...that being said ...i have my 20 gallon (long kind-30 inches long ,but not as high as a regular 20 gallon) ,on a wrought iron stand (level) and i have it in a good spot (not near windows heater vents/A/C ,etc ) ,now i need to go get & rinse gravel ...on my way...what im wondering at this point is is it better to have a underground filter in addition to the filter i have that hangs outside the tank (its for a 20 gallon tank) ? i need to take a step at a time here or i get overwhelmed...so please bear with me if you will....Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help walk me through this ...i am reading all about it too which taxes my brain...too much info...but at least im trying....im not sure yet if i will put just one King Betta in the tank or one goldfish or a community of fish.....
underground filter necessary or no ?try to keep it simple if you can LOL Thanks Guys!

Last edited by BeautifulBettaFish; 05-16-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 
Narnian

1. Before deciding on a filter, I would recommend deciding which fish you plan to put in it, as this would make a difference. :) A single king betta would not put out the amount of waste that say, 2 goldfish would, so you won't need as complex of a filter system.

2. Underground filters are great, from what I've heard, and easy to clean since you just vacuum the gravel like usual, (when doing water changes) which removes waste from the bottom of the filter too. However, I've heard unless you do a very good job of vacuuming, that waste does build up on the bottom, which can leave nasties in the water over time. Another drawback with this type is you can't use sand (it just clogs the underneath and goes through the grate).

2. I'm pretty positive that the hang-on-back filter you have already would be sufficient in itself. I've also heard that putting a sponge filter, on the opposite side of the mechanical filter, helps to keep both sides more evenly cleaned.

3. Have you thought of a betta sorority for that tank? It would be a great size, if you wanted more then just one fish. Or a school of neons would be nice too. :)
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

I'd think you'd be fine with just the HOB filter.
If you do get a goldfish though, you should probably get another HOB filter as well. They are really dirty fish.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4 
BeautifulBettaFish

Thanks so much for the input....i was thinking about a cardinal tetra school ,or a single king betta ....i think ill skip the goldfish.....off to get my gravel...
Old 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #5 
McAttack

Depending on what you put in there, you could put some shrimps and they'd help you clean the bottom from food that wasn't eaten. They're actually really cool to have, I watch them a lot. But some fish (the bigger ones) love to eat them. No garlic butter needed!
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #6 
BeautifulBettaFish

UGG I got 50 pounds of gravel, a good filter ,and best of all a king betta ,but i cant rinse the graven cause i didnt know i needed a pail or something thats never had anything in it or ever been washed with dishsoap....ugggggg
Love my king betta though :) will post photos soon:)
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #7 
truthequalslies

you could clean the pail you have with vineger and hot water
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 
BeautifulBettaFish

can i use any old new bucket say from Lowes or something ? It dosnt need to be a fish bucket from the fish store ?
The only bucket i have is the one i use to scrub floors (chemical cleaners) so i wont use that ! ...maybe i can clean out a huge cooking pot & use that ?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #9 
Narnian

^They have new, clean buckets at Wal-Mart for 2-5 bucks. :) They're in the cleaning section with mops and such.

I imagine they have the larger, 5 gallon handled type in with painting supplies.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #10 
SaylorKennedy

If you don't want to spend anymore money, you could just use a gallon size liplock bag and put a couple of handfulls in, rinse it out well, then put into the tank and repeat. A little extra work but you save the money. A bucket might be something to invest though. Very important for larger water changes.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote