Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #11 
MrChampagne

Cool Betta

The betta only seems to flair up at his own reflection in the tank like he's in love with himself lol :D He dosn't try to attack the glass or anything, just showing off ^_^ like he's looking at him self...when the gold fish comes around his jus like whatever and stops flairing and goes back to building his bubble nest or resting in his decor of plants at the top. He loves his plants ^_^ The gold fish is loving the tank too ^_^ I'm amazed and pround myself that they can get along and get along well...& thrive ^_^ 8)
MrChampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #12 
MrChampagne

Cool Perimeters

Ideal water perimeters for Siamese Fighting Fish: 74 - 84 Degrees F. PH of 7.0
Ideal water perimeters for Goldfish: 58 - 72 Degrees F. PH of 7.0
My tank: 75 - 77 Degrees F (78 Degrees in the winter- heater)
3 - 5 Degrees F. for a Goldfish is not extreame (6 degrees F. in the winter)
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #13 
MrChampagne

Thumbs up

Betta's are territorial and want to be the dominant fish. As long as another fish dosn't show signs of challenging the Betta's Status as King of the tank..they should get along fine. Once the Betta realizes the other fish is no threat to him he goes about his buisness..My Fantail Goldfish gets along well with my Veiltail Betta. They seem to be pals even. The betta just builds his bubble nest and shows off at himself at his own reflection in the tank...no sign of that torwards the Fantail Goldfish. The Betta and Goldfish are thriving together...despite the odds.. I think it's due to the Gold fish not wanting to be the most dominant.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #14 
Jennyinurmouth

Okay, bettas and goldfish live off of two different diets, not to mention goldfish grow... but only according to tank size. I gues you are dead set on keeping that goldfish and betta together, but just because there appears to be no problem, doesn't mean it won't cause one. What we are trying to tell you, bettas THRIVE at a tempurature of 75 to 80, goldfish THRIVE at 60 to 70... You would do so much better if you wanted a healthy goldfish, to make him a small pond outside with plants and suck, that way he will grow into a beautiful bigger fish, and be in it's more natural enviorment.
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #15 
beta novice

yeah agreed just because they havent doesnt meen they wont and if that beta dies its your fault
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #16 
MrChampagne

Lightbulb

The Betta is as happy as can be makin a nest and hangin out in his plants...makes his rounds of the tank too... I'm only keepin two fish in my 10 Gallon...My Goldfish and my Betta so that they have enough room to grow and get along...6 in for the gold fish and 3 in for the betta. 9 in total...1 in per gallon of water. I can't wait to post vids and pics to show their relationship and their tank enviroment...it's against all odds but it works...now if the betta gets aggresive then I will take him out...I'm just out to prove that they can get along if you only have one dominant fish. It really is working.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #17 
MrChampagne

Lightbulb

Placed a piece of oak bark in the tank today with moss attached to it. I washed it first of course and tested the PH level. It looks awesome and it didn't seem to affect the PH balance much.. I also changed out two gallons of water again with treated water. Happy.. :)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #18 
Jennyinurmouth

I give up... T_____T~sigh
It seems you are disregarding the more important facts, and giving irrelevant reasoning.
Goldfish can grow like a foot long you know, and require space.
I give up on trying to reason...
I don't even know if oak bark is okay with fishes, or at least moss. >.<
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #19 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Goldfish are cold water fish and bettas are warm water fish. Just because they're getting along now doesn't mean anything. Bettas are VERY territorial fish and one slightest thing the goldfish does that the betta doesn't like, he's a goner. Bettas are called fighting fish for a reason. But it sounds like you're set in your ways. Just don't be surprised when you end up with dead fish.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #20 
JKfish

Bettas being warm water fish, and goldfish being cold water fish is bad. Keeping both of them in a TEN gallon tank is worse. Given the right conditions, goldfish will keep growing until one goldfish is about a foot long, and will need TWENTY gallons of water at the bare minimum. Though it's body won't out grow your 10 gallon tank, it's intestines will. Eventually, the body won't be big enough to hold guts the size of a healthy normal sized adult goldfish, and the goldfish will die a slow and painful death. D: That is why goldfish never last long in the 'goldfish bowls'.

Also, goldfish give off a huge amount of waste. You'll probably need two or even three filters to properly take care of all the waste that one goldfish will produce. If in the long run, you want the two fish to be healthy, you will seperate them, and have the goldfish in a twenty gallon tank, or in a pond, and the betta in the ten gallon tank that is heated, possibly with some other SMALL TROPICAL fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote