Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 
newfishmom

Confused~

My daughter has a 1 gallon tank. Not heated, she keeps the light on 24 hours a day. It stays warmer in her room than anywhere else in the house. No filter, she does have one of those bubble things. I know for a fact the last time the tank was cleaned was 1 month ago. (I did it!) She adds water to the tanks when ever the water gets low. Now, on friday I cleaned all my tanks and decided to do hers too. Was curious about the water so did a quick test with the strips that I bought. The test strips said that everything was just fine!!!? There wasn't really much difference at all from my tanks water and her tanks water. My two smaller tanks 2 gallon & 2 1/2 gallon, I do a 50% water change on Mondays and 100% on Fridays. The two 5 gallons I do on Fridays 50% and every other week 100%. Why no difference? Are these test strips junk? They did show some difference in a couple of my tanks and I knew to do a water change. They are Jungle Quick Dip 5-n-1 test kit. They check pH, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, alkalinity.

This is Bonnie....She looks really good to me.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #2 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Wish my tank was like your daughters.:[
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #3 
Welsh

Does her tank have plants?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

The strips aren't always accurate, so that could also be it.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #5 
newfishmom

She has one plastic plant and a fake octopus. Marbles are on the bottom.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #6 
Welsh

If she had real ones I would say the plants could be helping the tank breakdown the bacteria, the only other thing I can think of is shes either been secretly cleaning the tank or the test strips are dodgy, I hear a lot that the strips arent the best testing kit as they can be wrong, your best bet is to get a liquid kit such as API, the liquid tests are the more accurate ones and fun to use =) lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 
newfishmom

Well I know for sure she isn't secretly cleaning the tank. She got a new job and she goes in at 7:30 a.m. and isn't getting home till around 5:30p.m. She has had the job for a bit over 1 month. Soooooo....it must be these strips? Figures. I was secretly hoping that maybe we just had really great water around here!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #8 
soleilvie

Ammonia is really the most important test and it surprises me it isn't included in the ones you have. I'm really not sure how a fish in a 1 gallon tank cannot go without a water change for a month and look as healthy as your daughter's does. Are you sure she isn't changing the water herself?! Unless the water she is replacing is enough to constitute a water change, then I'm just as confused as you.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #9 
Zenandra
Banned

Ammonia really is the most important test!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #10 
Blu

I havent heard anything good what so ever on the test strips but my API test kit works really well. My roomate has a betta like yours...she changes the water every 3-4 weeks and her betta stays healthy and the water looks perfect..puzzles me too...though her newwest one has gotten finrot so i think her habits have come around to bite her...best to try something before anyone gets sick
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote