Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #1 
TexasTanker

Red face Rehabbing Alpha the Wallyworld fish

Okay, I can't believe I did it.. I said I wouldn't, but I did. Today I drove the extra three miles to go to the different Walmart with a fish section (to price filters) and bought a Betta. THey had the pretty healthy looking ones on a shelf and the tore up sickly looking ones in a cabinet in the dark. (I snoop like crazy at these places). Anyhow I snagged an employee and asked what would happen to him. She shrugged and said she thought those ones were going back to the company. I translated that to mean they were being left in the dark old water to die so they could be replaced with intact fish. SOOOOO, I took pictures and will be forwarding those to a boss of someone (the big tanks were HORRIBLE). And I picked out this little guy. At the store his fins looked totally shredded and the top and bottom wouldn't unfurl. He seems to have adjusted well to his temporary home. I'm thinking I'll do water changes every other day until I can get him situated in something larger than the 1 gallon he's in right now. This one was set up, cycled and ready, so he landed there.

This will be my first trip into Betta land and I have ready a lot but I have one... maybe three simple questions....
1) Is there Betta food or can he eat the tropical variety my other guys get?
2) would he eat or maim my tiny livebearer fry if I put him in their tank? It's a 10 gallon, there are 7 fry. Otherwise he's going to the 2.5 gallon tank.
3) What are some tricks to rehabbing these guys? Is there something special I could put in to help him regrow his fins or help his color? An Ideal decor?
Attached Images

TexasTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #2 
rachel1811

Hey

Poor little fish!!!

1) He needs proper Betta food. U can buy pellets or flakes. They are his staple diet. Bettas are carnivores and so it is a good idea to supplement their pellets with bloodworms or daphnia or something else. Thats what I give mine. 5 days pellets 1 day worms 1 day fasting. This stops bloating. Be careful not to overfeed him as this can cause huge problems. His stomach is as big as 1 of his eyes.

2) My feeesh Po has got baby platys in his tank. He chases em now n then but hasnt eaten them but he could. Think it depends on the Betta and the species of the fry. If they r fin nippers it isnt a good idea. On the other hand ur Betta may wanna eat them.

3) Make sure the tank is warm. 80 degrees at least. The warm will help him if hes sick. Also consider Indian Almond leaves added to his water. These make the water brown but add healing qualities. U can buy them as leaves which u add whole or teabags which u make tea with then add the liquid to the tank.

Sure some more experienced person will come and tell u more helpful stuff as Im just a learner n have had Po less than a week :)

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

I would try adding aquariam salt to his tank/bowl. If he is in a 1g then only about 1/4 tsp unless it says otherwise. (thats just what mine says) it helps the regrowth of fins and heals other things. I am using it on a betta with fin rot and it seems to be helping.
And he is pretty and I am sure he will be even prettier once he grows back his fins!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Clean water, aquarium salt for 10 days, and heat (79-80*) are the best medicine if he's not showing any outward signs of illness (beyond fin damage). I suggest putting him in a 1-2 gallon tank and changing the water daily for 10 days while using the aquarium salt. After that just keep up with warm temperatures and keep the water as clean as possible while he is healing.

If you can get frozen food to feed him that is best (after live foods of course)... full of nutrients to help him heal. After that a good betta pellet (one that lists fish meal or salmon meal as the first ingredient) is fine to feed him if you don't want to do frozen.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 
TexasTanker

Renamed, rehoused, and rehabilitating

Alpha, is now Autry. He has been introduced into my 55 gallon tank behind a divider. He's living with my fry and an emerald catfish. His colors have brightened and he seems be getting along quite well. The next divider over is two female guppy. He only flared up for a few minutes and now he ignores them completely. He hasn't made a move on the fry or the cat. Once the guppy have moved to another tank and my tanks is adequately stocked to my liking, I will try introducing him to the main population. The plants are filling in quite nicely and I think it will be lovely.

Here are some updated photos of him and his current habitat. His colors are red white and blue. Quite appropriate considering the tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #6 
sjones

Nice job! He's so cute!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8 
TexasTanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
He's very pretty!
Thank you. When I got him, I was not expecting him to have the red white and blue colorings. I suppose in another month they will be brilliant enough to capture with a camera. I'm really excited by it, all the same. I think it worked out to one of those meant to be things.

Tags
rehab betta