Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #31 
Jennyinurmouth

Mhm he is like the hunchback of Notre Dame lolz. I love him though :3 wow this thread has been through everything lol
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #32 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
I'm echoing everyone else.
If you can't afford a tank for your female, and think a $20 heater is expensive, I wouldn't breed your bettas.
Im gonna have like $20 after I get my pay check for cleaning all the grass out of are yard.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #33 
TianTian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienbetta1 View Post
Im gonna have like $20 after I get my pay check for cleaning all the grass out of are yard.
First of all... it is "our" yard not "are". I've seen this mistake so many times online I honestly wonder if people know it's a mistake or not. And if you're not a native English speaker, now you know the difference.

Secondly.... I'm glad you're working hard for your money. This is a quality most of the "younger generation" have lost. At the same time, I highly encourage you to save more than just twenty before you go and buy fish supplies.

Why do I suggest something so absurd as saving money? Let's try two scenarios:

1. You don't save your money and you go right out and go to the fish store. While you're picking out your $20 heater, you find a fantastic deal on a tank + heater for $25. Oh, but if only you saved your money for that extra five! Now you'll have to save money again, come back to the store and pay and extra $15 for a 10 gallon tank. Boohoo!

2. Conversely, you save your money and discover there's lost more fun to be had deciding how to spend it, rather than digging in your pocket for that last penny to cover a purchase you're probably not 100% sure on making.

I can probably cite a dozen other reasons why you should save your money but I think this will suffice for now.

Just a few tips. Hope things work out for the best.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #34 
Jennyinurmouth

Or just search like crazy on craigslist.com
you might find a couple of wonderful deals
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #35 
TianTian

.... we're encouraging the saving of money, jenny. :D
Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #36 
lucyinthesky

I think $20 is not enough to breed... listen to the experts.

you will need over 20 containers for the fry when they get bigger
and then where will you put them all when they get bigger? what if they get sick and need medical attention?

you will probably kill all the babies because you cannot afford to look after them properly.
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #37 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure if anyone's said it yet or not but another thing.. Don't breed PET STORE bettas! I can't stress this enough. No one is going to buy a fish that is spawned from pet store stock.. which means you either have to give the fish away (losing money) or give them to a pet store to sell (Immoral IMO).

Like others have said when you decide to bring life into this world you have to be responsible for it. If your going to breed you need to have a goal in mind not just because he's pretty. There's a good chance that NONE of the fry would look like him. An example of a goal would be trying to create a line with good form and finnage in a color that is unusual or highly sought after.

As for money it takes a lot. Let's see if I can list all my stuff.
HM pair-~$30
10 gallon spawning tank~$5 (thrift store deal)
50 watt heater- $15
29 gallon grow out tank $25 (craigslist deal)
75 watt heater ~$20
Air pump for brine shrimp hatchery ($0 because it came with a tank but normally $10+)
Brine shrimp eggs ~$6
Worm cultures.. I suggest getting at least 3 in case they die ~$10+
Jars.. lets see you need at least 30 so lets say $60+ (for gallon jars)
food to condition the breeders ~$10
space heater to keep the jarred fry warm ~$30 (unless your room is 80*F)

lets see that's...$212 for ONE spawn (and I've gotten a LOT of good deals off craigslist that have taken MONTHS to come across). Factor in any medicines you need plus your time and its a lot more.

Time is the big factor. Your going to have to be able to feed the babies 3+ times a day, do daily water changes on the grow out tank and later on the jars. Cleaning 50+ jars every day is time consuming but if not done can lead to disease and death plus poor fin growth.

Also you need to be prepared in case you can't find homes for all of the fish. Do you have plan if your only able to sell 30 out of 80 fish?

Also since the fish you want to breed is a CT you also need to take into consideration the hardness of your water. CTs need very soft water to have proper ray growth so you'd probably need buffers.

Please don't take this the wrong way but breeding is VERY SERIOUS. You need to be 100% dedicated and know what you are doing if you decide your going to breed. This is something I'm very passionate about for all animals. If you want to breed, fine. But breed the right way.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #38 
mfskarphedin

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
...if it does come down to it and you have to use the vase then you much NOT ever put a plant with roots on the coming down!! you betta will die if that is done
Sorry to go a little off-track, but why? Are the roots poisonous?
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #39 
TianTian

Some plants can be poisonous I would think.... but most people have a misconception that the Betta fish EAT the roots of the plants ... when really they don't and they, sadly, starve to death. People that usually sell this kind of setup claim it's a whole ecosystem in a vase.... when really it's not. :(
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #40 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Do you know any Petstore that would buy the eggs before they hatch?
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote