Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #1 
Johnboy33

Pet smart employee advice

Thought some of ya'll might get a kick out of this petsmart employee's "advice"! :)
Attached Images

Johnboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #2 
mybabyjets

oh my, people dont know anything
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #3 
myexplodingcat

That's Yahoo Answers for you.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #4 
Pandanke

Just yesterday I saw a poor middle aged gentleman being told some dubious advice at a Petsmart I went in to to pick up an emergency heater. His 4th betta in 70 days. I felt so bad for the perky happy little red veiltail girl he chose. He wasn't very well informed.

I tried telling him about the forums in line, I hope he visits...
Pandanke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #5 
RubyDragon

Not all Petsmart employees are bad/ill informed. I was one for 6 years. We picked up our new betta yesterday from Petsmart. The woman working in fish asked us what size tank, the usual questions. She was excited that he was going to be in a 55 with peaceful fish, said it should work nicely. I already figured that because I did my research... but still nice to hear. The other woman working was dealing with a couple who overheard that bettas can go in a community tank and the husband wanted to get 10 of them for a 10 gallon because my employee said it was fine. No, that's not what she said... As we left, they were getting fancy tail guppies instead.
RubyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #6 
Vergil

^

I really don't have much of an issue with this 'advice'. If someone didn't have the time or attention span to Google the care instructions for a certain pet and I had limited time to talk about bettas, I would talk to them in a similar manner.

As for specialized set ups like sororities and divided tanks, well, if it didn't merit their time to know the basics, I don't think they'd care much for the particulars of set ups that require more dedicated husbandry.

Not sure about the other fish involved but at least this guy is pushing for a separate tank rather than a smaller one.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #7 
2muttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergil View Post

^

I really don't have much of an issue with this 'advice'. If someone didn't have the time or attention span to Google the care instructions for a certain pet and I had limited time to talk about bettas, I would talk to them in a similar manner.

As for specialized set ups like sororities and divided tanks, well, if it didn't merit their time to know the basics, I don't think they'd care much for the particulars of set ups that require more dedicated husbandry.

Not sure about the other fish involved but at least this guy is pushing for a separate tank rather than a smaller one.
I thought much the same thing when I read this, and I agree. Don't know which other fish are involved, or how many, or what size tank the original asker was using/wanting to use, but they may well have not been suitable fish to cohabititate with a betta, and may well have been of a size or nature that indeed required 20 gallons.... ~ For the most part this seems like "better safe than sorry" advice to me....and I don't find anything too much wrong with that.
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #8 
MameJenny

There seem to be two types of betta advice on Yahoo Answers. The first type is the "keep them in a small bowl and they'll live their few-month lifespan" advice that we all hate. The second is the people who say that bettas MUST be kept alone in a 5 gallon (or 10 gallon) heated, cycled, filtered tank, and that anything less will immediately kill them. Both are the reason I don't use Yahoo Answers. And I thought the rodent section was bad...
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #9 
Sathori

I'll admit, at the store I work at, there are some customers that I "stretch the truth" with... I'm guilty of telling customers that they cannot put ANY other fish in with their betta. Simply because I know some of the regular customers that come in only half listen to what you are saying, and if I were to tell them that it is possible to have a community tank, that would be all they would hear, and go out and buy too many fish and not have a back-up plan. Then they would come back to me complaining that I told them it WOULD work (even though I said COULD), and blame me for all the fish deaths in their tank. Not worth the trouble, so I tell them bettas like to be on their own, which is mostly true.. lol

BUT if the customer proves to be willing to listen, I will tell them all that I know, and will help them as much as I can to set up a nice community tank.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I don't actually think that advice is bad, particularly not for a store where employees are probably not going to have in-depth knowledge and customers are probably not going to listen anyway.

A lot of community betta tanks are set-up with poorly selected tank mates (I regularly see examples of this even on this forum).

Depending on what stocking the customer was considering, I'd rather stretch the truth (though some bettas are that aggressive), than risk the lives of not only the betta, but also the other fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote