Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #11 
Welsh

Since I turned the heater down it has been at a steady 80 degrees, as for the water change I got him in the mail from Ebay last Thursday, usually even though I have a filter I would do a water change twice a week but I wanted him to settle in as he's been laying in between the filter and tank since I had him, so didn't want to add more stress to him, he has however been swimming around a lot more today =)

Gahcrazy - Sorbet is about 5 months but a week old to me =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #12 
BeautifulBettaFish

oh i hope he gains his strength and does well for you .
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #13 
McAttack

Try a water change for now, he'll pull through.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #14 
Welsh

Yeah changed the water, got a mouth of it too lol. still no change in colour though atleast hes swimming around I dont think there is anything actually wrong with him I just don't know why his colour has faded.

I dont know if anyone can answer this question, I asked it over on the other forum but no one answerd. Basically, all the plants in my 12G tank grow amazingly, Iv not had one die but just last week I put a fountain plant into my 2.4 and it has now started to die, the vivid green leaves have started turning a dull brown also the ancharis I had in there with my first betta died too, I only put a light in there 2 days ago and I fertilise with tetra plantamin so I dont know why they keep dying.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #15 
zoragen

I don't know anything about fountain plants - is it a true aquatic?

You just put a light over the tank 2 days ago?? Does the tank get a lot of natural light? any direct sun light?

Most plants can't live w/o decent light. Even the low light plants need some light.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #16 
McAttack

How many watts is the light source? If it's a vivid green leaf, it probably needs a LOT of light (read: more than a basic tank setup has).

You can try using floral fluorescent bulbs, they're made for plants. The fish don't "pop" as much but plants love it. Makes a huge difference. but be careful cause it does a huge difference for algae also. I've stopped using those bulbs for that specific reason.

Plants, when they don't have enough light/CO2 will last like 2-3 weeks so if it's dying, it's probably not a good plant for your setup.

What kind of gravel are you using with this betta btw? What colour is it?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #17 
Welsh

I'm using sand, its a golden tan colour
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #18 
Welsh

The light I use is a marina cool LED, its for goldfish I didnt think about the plants I just wanted something for my betta.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #19 
McAttack

I can't confirm, but I've read that lighter substrates can "bleach" a fish's colour. I'd say status quo for now but if let's say after a few months the colour doesn't come back, try a bag of dark gravel/sand instead.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #20 
McAttack

Trying to find the colour spectrum of that light, can't really find any info.
I've used this light before and it was incredible for plants, but algae also. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...6&pcatid=12766 The Kelvins play into it. Certain spectrums are made for plants, some are made for corals, some are for colours. When it comes to the small lights that go over, i don't know what those are but they're not really made to sustain plants.