Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #1 
phea2

Question Breeding betta without using heater???

Hi, i've raised betta several times and have decided to start breeding now.

i'm planning to get some white halfmoon male. i bought a white female yesterday (what i believe is a white halfmoon female) and might get a male tomorrow. will post some pictures in few days.

but after lots of reading, my question is, do i really need to put a heater in the breeding tank? cause i've never really put heater in any of my betta's tanks. i'm planning to spawn them in a 60litre (15g) fish tank.

phea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Bettas should always have a heater. They need to be in temperatures 78-82* at all times. It is especially important for fry that they be kept warm.

I heard recently of a person raising a spawn whose heater went out. She's desperately trying to keep all of the babies alive right now and they're not looking too good.

Unless you live somewhere that is naturally 80* I highly advise a heater. I don't think you'll be able to spawn without one. Cold fish don't usually spawn.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #3 
phea2

oh, ok thanks. will try to get a cheap small heater then. cause i dont want to get an expensive one when i'm going to use it only for a month.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

A month? Betta fry take at least 2 months in a growout tank before being jarred and even then after that most breeders keep the females together in a sorority. They still need heat. Most betta aren't old enough to be given away until 3+ months of age.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #5 
phea2

yeah but what i meant was that i will then put them in my community tank where there's already a heater and will put the males in jars.