Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #1 
Leosmom

Question Two females not getting along - where to move?

I have two new female bettas in the same 1.5 gallon bowl. One of the females is really nipping at the other. I also have two other filtered tanks (one is a 10 gallon with 8 mollies and a clown loach, the other is a 2.65 gallon with two basic goldfish). I'd like to move the more docile female into one of the other established tanks - is this a good idea, and if so, which one would most likely be the best option?
Leosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #2 
BettaCee

Never put two females together. One will kill the other. 1.5 gal isn't big enough for two fish. You need to separate them ASAP! You should not put one in with your goldfish! You could try putting one in with your Mollies but that tank is pretty much fully stocked already. Keep an eye on your water in both tanks!
You need at least four to six females to start a good sorority. If you have only three, two will gang up on one and kill it leaving you with only two and one will kill the other and then there will be only one. Most likely.
Good luck sorting this out.
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I hate to say this since this is your first post....but you have some major stocking issues with all of your tanks.......

You need to re-home the goldfish and clown loach or get a 125g tank for the clown and add 5 more as they are social fish that thrive best in groups and a cold water pond for the goldfish...both these species get huge and IMO cruel to keep them in such small tanks even if they are small now, they will grow and will stunt in such small tank shortening their life.
Mollies get too big for a 10g, maybe 3 at most in that tank
I agree with BettaCee that the current set-up for the two female bettas is too small for them.
Re-home the goldfish and use that tank for the other female betta......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #4 
Leosmom

When you talk about needing 6 for a sorority, you mean in order to keep female bettas together you need a half dozen? I have removed her and will figure out how to get her in her own environment. I don't want to risk the 10 gallon - my clown loach has been known to nip (I used to have a long-finned tetra he bothered sometimes). She seems more lively already.

I've had tropical fish tanks for about 20 years now so I know how to care for and take care of tanks for them, I'm just new to goldfish and bettas. I had to do a crash course because kids won them at a carnival Friday night - I wasn't expecting to spend the weekend setting up new fish tanks but that's what happened. I really wish it was against the law to give fish away at events like that. I can't imagine how many ended up dying in a tupperware bowl. Thanks for the info.
Leosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I couldn't agree with you more.......I hate seeing any live animals given at Carnivals.......
Same with some pet shop that sell fish not suited for most home aquariums too...they are so cute and small at the pet shop only to grow into a huge fish one day and their life is cut short in a year or two because of poor housing by the unknown hobbyist........but the pet shops are out to make money and could care less about the fish that die a slow cruel death...all that means is that they get to sell another fish.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote