Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #21 
tumtum

well in that case are there any other options?
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #22 
TianTian

Petstore may take them (I used to raise and sell rabbits to sell to my LPS as a kid)
Give them away to your friends (a bad idea if they're not familiar with Betta care)
Find a way to sell them
Cull 'em (as previously discussed)
Not breed?
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #23 
tumtum

No I have alot of friends who would like some as well as a small local pet store. I mean how else could i cull them?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady

Never release a tropical fish into the wild or if you catch a wild fish and put it in your tropical tank never re-release it into the wild.

This can destroy our native habitat by introducing tropical parasite/pathogen that our native species have no immunity to and can wipe it out......

A betta will not survive very long anyway and IMO cruel and some thing like snail, shrimp, plants and some fish species can survive and cause problem in the native habitat and in some state in the US is is illegal to do it...

Protect our native habitat.........destroy tropical livestock and plants the correct and safe way.........
Freeze it
chop its head off
burn it
bury it
toss it in the trash
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #25 
tumtum

Wouldnt the freezing be painful? do you mean by putting him in a cup in the freezer right? And there so small do they even have heads? I could prolly do either though if needed.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #26 
TianTian

I wouldn't recommend freezing, as that seems a bit inhumane to me. :/

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1047

Try this artlcle.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #27 
tumtum

Thanks the article helped, I think ill try and find some clove oil, then again I better wait to see if i have any fry, abiggill still has no stripes!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #28 
TianTian

XD I can't believe I didn't suggest it before!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #29 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good that you are thinking ahead on a very important step...

I am one that believes that everyone should spawn Bettas at least once, great experience that can lead to different and more difficult species

An average spawn for a new hobbyist is usually about 30 fry to adult stage or point that you have to cup the males

I would talk with the owners at your local ma & pa type pet shop and see if they have any interest in any Betta offspring you spawned, don't expect much for them if anything, most will give a store credit.
Be aware that sometimes they will be used as feeders- especially if they are mutts.......

Craigslist

Friends and family

Online...at tropical fish forms that have buy & sell section, however, shipping will be the big cost to either you or the buyer....not to mention the cost of shipping boxes, bags...etc......
I'm sorry but this sounds like what people say about cats, and it leads to overpopulation, suffering, abuse and euthanasia or worse.
I don't condone breeding and if you have to ask what "culling" is well..
After seeing the horrible conditions betta are put through, kept in and subjected to it just irks me, if you care about your fish why would you want to perpetuate this?
Actually, I don't mean to single you out OFL, I enjoy your posts and advice, it's just that this has been on my mind since I have gotten to know and love my bettas and it really bothers me the way they are commodified.
I just can't condone it for Clampy's sake :(

Last edited by sjones; 05-30-2010 at 08:55 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Due to many of the the tropical fish we keep that are going extinct or have limited habitat due to habitat distruction as well as fewer hobbyist that keep and breed fish any longer....some species will be gone forever unless a hobbyist keeps it in a home tank, breeds and passes it along to other hobbyist.

I do understand what you are staying SJones, but my point is to encourage people to grow in this hobby to keep it going and to encourage breeding to keep species alive that may not have any other place to live, the Betta is not one of them but is a great starting fish to teach proper husbandry and perhaps teach the love of breeding and keeping fish in general.

Very true that breeding fish is not every ones cup of tea and many people will not make an effort to research the animal and in turn they will suffer and die a cruel death.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote