Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #31 
sjones

Okay. I can understand that, thank you!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #32 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
I might be able to feed some to my other bettas, and theres a lake across the street. Also theres a small pond down the road, Ive always wondered if bettas could survive in it. Itd be interesting.
This isn't meant to sound like a lecture just to give facts so please don't take this as being mean in anyway but for the love of the fish and the environment DO NOT let pets into the wild...ONE they are bred in captivity and do not have natural instincts like their wild cousins. TWO your betta will either starve, get sick or be eaten...THREE you are releasing an animal that may not be natural to that environment and if it CAN survive there, think about how this effects wild animal populations this is how we get invasive species. For example small mouth bass were released in my part of Canada for sport fishing and are now invasive. Now they are deteriorating the trout populations....

JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #33 
thegameksk

Hey guys. I have been owning Bettas for about a year now. I currently have 4 Bettas. 2 in a split 10 gallon and 2 in a split 5 gallon. I am planning to hopefully try my hand at breeding after the summer. I have been researching breeding in the meantime. As far as culling goes, how do you know which ones to cull and which ones to not cull? What should I look for as far as health goes?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #34 
tumtum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
This isn't meant to sound like a lecture just to give facts so please don't take this as being mean in anyway but for the love of the fish and the environment DO NOT let pets into the wild...ONE they are bred in captivity and do not have natural instincts like their wild cousins. TWO your betta will either starve, get sick or be eaten...THREE you are releasing an animal that may not be natural to that environment and if it CAN survive there, think about how this effects wild animal populations this is how we get invasive species. For example small mouth bass were released in my part of Canada for sport fishing and are now invasive. Now they are deteriorating the trout populations....

Dont worry, I have found alot more people who are interested in the fry now, not to mention, on bettatalk I found an article about limiting eggs before they hatch by cutting off part of the bubblenest and disposing of it. Ill do that if things get out of hand with how many eggs are in the spawn.
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #35 
JamieTron

cool stuff I am glad you found a cure to the problem :D good luck with your spawn btw
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote