Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #1 
Waldobubbles3

Question Goldfish tank

Hello!

My friends sister has a goldfish that she doesn't want anymore. It is currently living in a 1 gallon bowl with a glo fish. I desperately want to save this fish (the goldfish) and give it the best life possible, however I do not think I have the necessary money. I am pretty sure he is a butterfly tail, and I read that they need 20 gallons of space. I can not afford this, so i was thinking a 5 or 10 with frequent water changes? My dad doesn't want me to buy from Craigslist because he believes they will not be the best quality, which I disagree with. What is the best way I can give these fish a good life? Where can I find everything cheaply? Should I just not bother? Even if I got them a 5 gallon they would be happier than they are now... but even then I would need to upgrade.
Waldobubbles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Get as big of a tank as you can, anything is better than 1g and you can always upgrade in the future.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi. You could keep him in a 10 gallon. It would be a lot of work.. Do you know how big he is right now?
If he does turn out to be a single tail you can always work on finding a pond for him.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #4 
Waldobubbles3

He is about 2 inches at the moment. I know this is not as big as he will get, but is he a small fish for the species? My friends mom had the fish for school and it ended up living, so it's at lease 4 months old(ish). I am fairly sure he is not a single tail thankfully :D

Last edited by Waldobubbles3; 08-02-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well he's a baby.. I would get him a 10 and just keep trying for upgrade. The danio you should try and give to someone who has a school..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #6 
litelboyblu

Well, since ed not a single tail! Once the NEXT dollar per gallon sale at petco is up you can buy him/her a new tank ;) upgrading is ALWAYS better!!!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #7 
hrutan

Get him in what you can, and then start scouting craigslist or similar sites for lucky deals. You can also check second hand stores, Goodwill, ect. A second hand tank is perfectly safe to use - just clean it and check the seals - resealing isn't hard if you need to, and you can sometimes get whole setups for very cheap. It can be done on a budget, it just takes more work and a little bit of luck.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #8 
Waldobubbles3

If I convince my dad to let me get one used from craigslist do I still have to cycle it?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #9 
litelboyblu

yes, you will still need to cycle the tank :P unless you already have a filter that has its "full" potential of bacteria? IF you do you can use some of its media and add it to your new filter so you dont have to start a new one :)
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #10 
Waldobubbles3

Ok. Problem. My parents will let me get the fish, but I can't spend any more money on him (parents rule). He will be stuck in that cruel bowl! Should I just give him to someone who has the proper equipment for him?