Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #1 
creamcookie

Bettas do slowly cause addiction!!

Just a story I'd like to share. I didn't know bettas would be so addicting. The first time I got a betta was because one of my friends had one and she said it was easy to take care of. So I went off to my LPS and got a crowntail betta and betta kit, not knowing what I was getting myself into. After doing a bit of research, I realized that my half gallon "tank" wasn't adequate, as well as lack of heater+filter. Where I live winters get to as harsh as -30 celcius (-22 F). Unfortunately, my first betta died because I didn't cover with the lid and he jumped out. Which was very dissapointing, since it was totally my fault, but now that I think back, I think he also had ich. Anyways are about a year I got a second betta, who was a royal blue veiltail, who looked purple. I used the same supplies as my old betta, but saw that he was getting depressed. I didn't even give him a name because I didn't want to get to attached, but obviously that didn't work. I ended spending sooo much money on his new home, a 10 gal with everything that he needs and more. My friend was wrong, bettas are high maintenance. Maybe other pets are even more high maintenance, but my betta was already enough for me! The half gallon was hard enough, but the 10 gal is even more! I've actually grown really fond of him and learned his funny personality; he lives on my desk so we spend lots of time together. Every time I go to the pet store I look at the betta selection, then have to force myself to leave because I don't have money, space, or time for more bettas! I don't want to become a betta slave, though I think I'm leaning towards one. Who knows when I'll soon give in and end up buying one betta...or maybe 3...5...10!?!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Lol they're VERY addicting! I've had 20 fish at one time and that was crazy. :P I'm a lot happier with 4 (soon to be 5).
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #3 
Zenandra
Banned

oooo You can divide the 10 gallon! 5 gallons is great for a betta and that way you can get another one!!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #4 
Betta Slave

Yeah, divide the ten gallon... another excuse to get a betta! Which I'm sure we all need
I need more bettas... most I've ever had at one time is three or four.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #5 
creamcookie

I'm afraid they'll jump over/swim through the side!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote