Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #21 
manami

I have a question that's worrying me:

When I order my shrimps online, how can they survive without "bubble air" in their water bags?

I can't pay the fastest shipping (too much $ for just ordering shrimps!), so will they still be alive if they arrive 2 days late? I have never order live fish online before, so I don't know how this will works...
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #22 
Flint

They are either packaged with kordon breather bags that let air in and out or a bag with oxygen in it. Both usually include a live plant to help with the water and give them something to grab onto.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #23 
manami

Ok, that's a relief! I was scared to receive dead shrimps if I didn't choose the fastest shipping!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #24 
Tree

Oh I am glad to hear this. I want cherry shrimp in my 5.5 gallon. I have one betta and one tiger nerite snail in there, but I still have a lot of algae in my tank. (only have the lights on for 8 hours) so was wondering if shrimps would be only in my 5.5 gallon. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #25 
RussellTheShihTzu

Do not float breather bags to acclimate the shrimp. Either plop and drop or drip acclimate. Whatever you do, add a drop of Prime to the bag as soon as you open it.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #26 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Do not float breather bags to acclimate the shrimp. Either plop and drop or drip acclimate. Whatever you do, add a drop of Prime to the bag as soon as you open it.

why's that? are they more fragile than fish?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #27 
manami

"plop and drop or drip acclimate"? do you mean like using a dropper to drop your own water from your tank inside the bag they come in with?

And why add a drop of Prime?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #28 
RussellTheShihTzu

Shrimp are extremely fragile; they need specific parameters and conditions to thrive; even .25 ppm Ammonia can kill them. And the stress of living in such close proximity to a predator certainly can.

Can you keep shrimp with Bettas in such a small tank? Of course. "Should" you? No. If you've ever seen an invert-only tank you'd understand why.

In my invert-only tank all the shrimp and Crays are out and about 24/7 and only hide when they molt. They even come to the front of the tank when I lift the lid in anticipation of food and their colors are even more vibrant. The tank is much more enjoyable for them and for me. When I had them in the 20 long, despite its heavy planting, they spent more time hiding in the back cover. The difference in their behavior is amazing.

In the end we all have to do what we're comfortable doing. For me that means I'm no longer comfortable putting inverts in with a Betta any more than I'd be comfortable subjecting a Betta to life with an Oscar five times its size .... and many of us have seen that video.

I will add I have Hester and Larry, two Vampire Shrimp, in my 20 long community tank with a Betta; they're the only invert I've found whose behavior doesn't change when other fish are present. However, I'd not have them in a smaller tank with a Betta and they require a really mature tank as they are filter feeders.

If you want inverts, nothing is more interesting than an invert tank. Even in a 2.5 you can have one or two Amano, 10 RCS, three Dwarf Crays and five or six Thai Micro Crabs. Too much fun. I had my Malawa in a 2.5 until I upgraded to a larger tank. When they swim the shrimp remind me of ET being bicycled toward the moon.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #29 
RussellTheShihTzu

This will explain better than I.

Acclimating your shipped fish or invertebrates to their new tank | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd
Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #30 
Tree

aaah I see, thanks for the tip. =) I went and bought some shrimp and did your method. All seems well and they are eating the algae like crazy! I might end up moving some of the little ones in my 2.6 gallon alone though if my betta starts to attack them. but so far so good.
But it seems that the lady at petco got me a ghost shrimp. Much larger than the red and white shrimp I got. Do you think he will be ok in a 5 gallon? they say they need 10 gallons. x_x

Last edited by Tree; 08-22-2014 at 05:34 PM.